Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Tgui View Post
    Indeed Those people suggest not upgrading too often to ensure OSX continues to run.

I've also seen other people run OSX in a VM so that they can continue to easily update and use certain Apple phones.
    Mainly depends on how much effort was needed to get OS X on the hardware. If you require a good bit of 3rd-party kexts and patches for basic system functionality, updating is a luxury Probably just need to keep said kexts and patches up-to-date though along with observing OS update changes carefully.

If you have pretty modern and present-in-actual-Apple-hardware hardware though, you should be fine. The Fatal1ty H97 Killer + 7850 I have was pretty well supported.

Leave a comment:

• Tgui
    replied
    Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
    I can assure you OS X can and has run on non-Apple hardware, even on AMD CPUs.
    Indeed Those people suggest not upgrading too often to ensure OSX continues to run.

I've also seen other people run OSX in a VM so that they can continue to easily update and use certain Apple phones.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
    it not run att all in generic pcs at least with amd cpu, this the main reason for osx only run with their macs
    I can assure you OS X can and has run on non-Apple hardware, even on AMD CPUs.

Leave a comment:

• molecule-eye
    replied
    I like these sorts of benchmarks but I wish the latest stable kernel was also tested, since likely not many are running RCs.

Leave a comment:

• startzz
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    You haven't been paying attention to the IDC reports have you?
    Android has about 70-80% of the smartphone marketshare, Apple is second with ~ 10% of the market share, and it gets much smaller from there
    Android has surpassed Apple on the number of tablets sold starting in mid-2013 and consistently continuing to the current quarter.

So no, not neck and neck, it's linux dominated. That said I would expect Android to run slower on an iPhone than iOS due to Dalvik being slow. Android L will be getting around the Dalvik problem by AoT compiling applications on the device.
    The point is not in the quantity, but in the quality - ferrari isnt very popular car also, but thats not the point to call it bad. Android phones are cheaper, thats all what people cares about, you can count on one hand people, who actually knows what they are buying and they buying it because they really need it.

Leave a comment:

• jimbohale
    replied
    Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
    You are mostly right, I think (I am assuming you are talking about desktop distros). Early Linux-based operating systems had to rely on what free software packages were available, and those had mixed quality: some were very good, some were just "good enough," but many still suffer from poor testing, limited developer support and documentation, etc.
    yup

I'm using the past tense because I do think things are changing. We have companies, both big and small (IBM, Redhat, Novell, Canonical, etc.), investing in the free software ecosystem, and making an effort to replace the older components with higher quality software. Because of the free software licenses, these investments get to be enjoyed by all free operating systems. It's going to take time to get the work done, but we're living in an interesting time right now. Wayland and Mir are poised to replace the antique X11 graphics stack, systemd will clean up that awful mess that happens in the first few seconds of the operating system running and straighten out its basic service management, FreeDesktop.org standards are making it easier for application to live happily on all desktop environments, etc...
    Thinks are changing, but some legacy problems are still happening. I agree that those companies (in particular, red hat) are helping a lot. Wayland and Mir cannot co-exist. One has to die (ideally and presmably Mir). It will cause problems in the future, and it will fragment the desktop just like what has happened to every other time.

Quality assurance has also drastically improved. Not many people are aware of this, but Canonical's Launchpad service is a huge continuous-integration environment with many modern testing subsystems. It's a long-term investment that will pay off in terms of reducing breakage during ongoing development and upgrades, even for 3rd-party components.
    Ubuntu is generally the best in terms of stability, although every distro has improved lightyears over the past few years, I agree. Launchpad is an example of something done correctly. They have PPA's. That sounds stupid but when dealing with third-party stuff it makes it 1000x easier on the end user to type in a command that the website tells you into the terminal (or ideally click a link that opens up the thing in the future). Want netflix and using Linux because of practicality instead of politics? Install the compholio PPA. Obviously it would be better if netflix supported HTML5 (and don't you dare say blah blah DRM you trolls, you know why DRM has to exist for media, there would be no reason to create media without profits and without DRM for streaming you aren't going to get a deal with the media company. baby steps.), but none of that is the point, that was just an example of something that having the PPA system makes easier for the end-user. Most end-users do not care about and should not care about the (technical) internals of their computers, because to be honest they have much better things to be doing than caring about it.

Leave a comment:

• emblemparade
    replied
    Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
    I just think that most Linux distributions are a mess because it's impossible to coordinate that effectively when you have that many people and projects attempting to work together.
    You are mostly right, I think (I am assuming you are talking about desktop distros). Early Linux-based operating systems had to rely on what free software packages were available, and those had mixed quality: some were very good, some were just "good enough," but many still suffer from poor testing, limited developer support and documentation, etc.

I'm using the past tense because I do think things are changing. We have companies, both big and small (IBM, Redhat, Novell, Canonical, etc.), investing in the free software ecosystem, and making an effort to replace the older components with higher quality software. Because of the free software licenses, these investments get to be enjoyed by all free operating systems. It's going to take time to get the work done, but we're living in an interesting time right now. Wayland and Mir are poised to replace the antique X11 graphics stack, systemd will clean up that awful mess that happens in the first few seconds of the operating system running and straighten out its basic service management, FreeDesktop.org standards are making it easier for application to live happily on all desktop environments, etc...

Quality assurance has also drastically improved. Not many people are aware of this, but Canonical's Launchpad service is a huge continuous-integration environment with many modern testing subsystems. It's a long-term investment that will pay off in terms of reducing breakage during ongoing development and upgrades, even for 3rd-party components.

Leave a comment:

• jimbohale
    replied
    Originally posted by xeekei View Post
    My ROCCAT Kone XTD works flawlessly, and has configuration software and everything. You should buy gear from the companies that support Linux if you want it to work.
    I've used that mouse and HATED it. I don't expect things to work, but that's why I'm not using Linux as my daily driver.

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    Must be why the only thing Apple developers are good at is copying UI elements from GNOME 3.x. Seriously, check out how closely the latest Mac OSX update looks to GNOME 3.x -- check out all the features it's getting that GNOME 3.x developed -- speaks volumes in itself.
    That's just not true. It looks very little like GNOME 3. If anything, GNOME 3 looks like OS X. I don't think either are true, though. It hasn't recently adopted any GNOME 3 technology, either. I don't know where you got that information from. Having used both quite extensively, I can say that that's just not true. The only thing it gained was tabbed finder windows which is just an obvious thing, I don't think GNOME played any part in that. OS X has so many more features that work so much better than on GNOME 3, specifically share browsing on Linux is *terrible* and when you're dealing with remote working that tends to be an issue (by remote I mean for example on a laptop at the same house). GNOME 3 looks nice, though, I think they're doing a good job any sort of crap functionality isn't their fault.

Not all current Android apps use Dalvik: many games, for example, are written in C, using the Android NDK. Actually, such games or apps would be very useful as benchmarks to compare Android vs. iOS on more equal grounds. The challenge would be to find hardware that can run both OSes.
    Yeah, that's true, although I can't say I really care enough about my phone hardware to run both OS's, I'm cool with one or the other. I'm not particularly picky about my phone so I don't care. I'd happily run a Nexus 5, it's nothing special but it would work.

You see, in my opinion, the various Linux distributions focus too much on having the most functionality they don't focus enough on making things work well. Yes, Linux has samba browsing using a variety of things such as the fuse module (smbfs i think?) or the GVFS module that allows browsing in GNOME or the like. They *all* suck. NFS isn't any better. The only solution that's worked well for me is iSCSI but that's not practical nor safe to use in a network with guests so I don't use it. On OS X, I see my shares, I click them, it works. I can use them from any application just like they are a normal file. It doesn't randomly freeze, it is as fast as my network. When I open an application, I know that it's not going to be missing libssl0.9.8 (when compiling yourself or not) and I know that it's not going to be missing gtk3.1.4.1.5.9.2.restofpi ( ) that was removed from the repository last week. I know that X11 isn't going to randomly crash because some application was being dumb, and I know that something written several years ago will still run today. I don't get that on Linux, and while some people don't care it's important to me to have those things.

Both of them get ZFS (OS X's is much more recent and obviously third-party but so is Linux's) which is important to me so that's a non-issue.

I just think that most Linux distributions are a mess because it's impossible to coordinate that effectively when you have that many people and projects attempting to work together. Certain people such as lennart and con kolivas are making it better for us but there are not many people who recognize what's important in a desktop OS. My hope is that once Wayland has been out for a while and lennart does other things that help fix the linux desktop it'll be usable for me again.

Now, it sounds like I'm bashing Linux to which I technically am but only because I want it to improve because I want to be able to use it as my daily driver. Linux has so many appealing things like KVM, kernel stability particularly with networking, great security and improving with end-user-doable things like what systemd is doing with the read-only mounts, *fantastic* sound system (PulseAudio), filesystem support for everything I could ever want in particular XFS and thankfully OpenZFS supports Linux, I despise btrfs I have lost far too much data to which it's not a stable FS yet so it's not it's fault but obviously I'm not going to use an unstable FS, plus it's beyond slow. Expanding on the ZFS thing, ZFS uses a metric fuckton of memory, but I like that because it means that it's caching a lot which I have the RAM for. I have 32GB of RAM, more and more people are having more, I would like it to be used in practical places like FS caching.

Window tearing will hopefully be fixed with Wayland because it's an extreme issue with my NVIDIA card (nouveau & proprietary) and my AMD card (obviously sucks because AMD's Linux support is crap). I'm not going to use my native Intel driver (i7 3930k), sorry, I need 3D performance.
    Last edited by jimbohale; 15 July 2014, 04:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• emblemparade
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    That said I would expect Android to run slower on an iPhone than iOS due to Dalvik being slow. Android L will be getting around the Dalvik problem by AoT compiling applications on the device.
    Not all current Android apps use Dalvik: many games, for example, are written in C, using the Android NDK. Actually, such games or apps would be very useful as benchmarks to compare Android vs. iOS on more equal grounds. The challenge would be to find hardware that can run both OSes.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
    Calling it GNU/Linux is completely correct. Userland is full GNU, including the vastly used Linux API implementation: glibc. Graphics interface is an add-on that doesn't count and is outside the main user land.
    Even without X11 or things that are useless to servers like libalsa and PulseAudio, GNU componentry is a shrinking fraction of the core userland.

No mainstream package manager is part of GNU. Neither SystemD, nor Upstart, nor OpenRC are part of GNU. None of the cron daemons that I've ever seen in my distros have been part of GNU. D-Bus and udev aren't part of GNU. PackageKit and RedHat's various other contributions aren't part of GNU. OpenSSH isn't part of GNU. Many common command-line utilities aren't part of GNU.

I could go on and on.

If they want people to call it GNU/Linux, they should rename "gNewSense" to "GNU" so it's a distro name comparable to "Ubuntu" and "Android", release a "GNU/FreeBSD" like Gentoo and Debian do so there's reason to contrast Linux against something, and offer something appealing enough to the general user base for it to become a mention-worthy name. (Unlikely at this point in time, given their hard-line stance on closed blobs.)

Hell, FreeDesktop/glibc/Linux makes more sense than GNU/Linux these days.
    Last edited by ssokolow; 15 July 2014, 02:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X