• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GreenReaper
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Can we get HAMMER2 on Linux?
    I don't think so. Probably, not even on FreeBSD since the file system kernel API has changed from FreeBSD to DragonFly BSD.

Maybe like NTFS on Linux, we could get a poor implementation of HAMMER2 on Linux, maybe over FUSE. But would perform poorly.
    I can't help but think that this might be related to the fact that the maintainer of the FUSE version also works at a company which provides a proprietary, in-kernel option which touts faster performance. Why spend time competing with yourself?

Of course, NTFS support is also available in the kernel. But Debian just dropped it. Why?
    * ntfs: Disable NTFS_FS due to lack of upstream security support
    (CVE-2018-12929, CVE-2018-12930, CVE-2018-12931)
    It turns out that - and I'm sure this is totally a coincidence - said maintainer is also listed as the NTFS kernel module maintainer, yet hasn't been fixing the security bugs they said they'd look at in April 2018. Also, it seems slower than the FUSE version - in part because the FUSE version effectively uses two threads - perhaps because (see above).

Really, Linux upstream maintainers should probably just remove the module from the tree. But that might require facing up to the fact that they've allowed this clear conflict of interest to come about, and persist for a decade.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 12 June 2019, 05:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• horizonbrave
    replied
    Why arents BSDs dead yet?
    Are they superior to Linux systems?
    So they suffer from less bugs because less/people use/researchthem?
    I'm really curious about it, because I'm not sure if Linux ecosystem/village fragmentation is that positive, and not sure as well if BSDs are that good as they proclaim to be (or their users do, while saying Linux systems are just a patchwork mess) having smaller teams/sponsors/attention.
    Sorry for OT and provocative intro and thanks for your opinions

EDIT: just found this.
    Last edited by horizonbrave; 12 June 2019, 01:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dieter
    replied
    BBenchmark in-kernal filesystem verses FUSE version of the same filesystem.

Leave a comment:

• lucrus
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

You forgot a DefaultsManager in there.
    No I didn't. It was deprecated in version 2.0 of the library and replaced by AbstractDeafultsBroker and DefaultDefaultsBrokerImpl.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I don't think so. Probably, not even on FreeBSD since the file system kernel API has changed from FreeBSD to DragonFly BSD.

Maybe like NTFS on Linux, we could get a poor implementation of HAMMER2 on Linux, maybe over FUSE. But would perform poorly.
    Native HAMMER2 is built specially for DragonFly BSD and is tightly integrated with it and relies on its unique file storage mechanisms.

Is HAMMER2 better than ZFS, Btrfs, and ext4?
    Did Matthew Dillon single handily create a file system that is superior to other file systems created by teams of researchers and developers?
    I think you've answered your own question. A single file system can have wildly varying performance depending on the implementation used, so comparing them is pretty hard. If you decide to use the "native" operating system for each file system, you'll have plenty of noise in data stemming from differences in operating systems. I think a better question would be "What is the best file system for the Linux kernel?"

Leave a comment:

• k1e0x
    replied

Native HAMMER2 is built specially for DragonFly BSD and is tightly integrated with it and relies on its unique file storage mechanisms.

Did Matthew Dillon single handily create a file system that is superior to other file systems created by teams of researchers and developers?
    ZFS was deeply ingrained in Solaris but was ported to FreeBSD and Linux using a API compatibility layer (the SPL) I don't see why that can't be done for HAMMER2. I think the entire slab allocation memory manager was ported to that layer too. (That's why the ZFS module is so big.. it loads half of Solaris. lol jk) It basically speaks Linux out the top and Solaris out the bottom. I'd say it could be done.. but not easily. FreeBSD probably has the best chance for a port.

Matthew Dillon famed rock star genius programmer.. Or so they say.. yeah I don't know, maybe. Given enough time can one person do what a company can.. sure, the single person has clarity of focus and design, they don't have to compromise. Look at Sim City 5 (1000+ ppl) vs City Skylines (12 ppl).
    Last edited by k1e0x; 11 June 2019, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Possibly, however these teams of researchers and developers obviously have a vastly superior and substantial... CoC

On a more useful note; small teams are not ncessarly that inefficient. Especially if someone is passionate about something. Looking at the relatively small OpenBSD project, they kick out some very important things. It also comes down to the idea that certain problems cannot simply be solved faster or better by chucking more developers at it.
    Exactly! What any project needs is GOOD developers, not *many* developers (although "many good" developers can help sometimes ;-) )

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by lucrus View Post

No it isn't. The key here is that programmers (Java programmers especially, but the habit has now been adopted by others too) have defaults for when they do not decide a default about something, the filesystem in this case. If they forget to choose a default, a DefaultsProvider class that provides a default by default (a sort of defaults abstraction layer) kicks in. It obviously needs a DefaultsFactory class that instantiates the most reasonable DefaultsCriteria implementation, based on various predefined defaults...
    You forgot a DefaultsManager in there.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    No.

Not in its current state.

Not in its current state.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Felipe
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Possibly, however these teams of researchers and developers obviously have a vastly superior and substantial... CoC
    I hope this is sarcasm.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X