Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Open-Source/Linux Kaby Lake CPU Benchmarks Would You Like To See?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    I want to see vainfo of course, then mpv/kodi decoding HEVC Main 10 (press o) hardware accelerated. Maybe compared against Polaris (as AMD should have VAAPI and VDPAU support).
    I have similar opinion. I would like to see energy consumption/power efficiency of Kaby Lake CPU when playing HEVC Main 10 video in both FullHD and 4K resolutions in mpv player using VA-API.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      The only things worth testing are theGPU and the video encode and decode units.
      Same here, i have written an adequate benchmark here and would love to see how this compares with other hardware generations (haswell, skylake):

Some gstreamer benchmarks. Contribute to UbiCastTeam/gstreamer-benchmarks development by creating an account on GitHub.

./run_tests.py -t tests/encoding-h264-nv12.py This will generate a few samples (1080p and 2160p, black, snow and smpte) and compare performance of x264enc and vaapih264enc (as long as gst-plugins-ugly and gstreamer-vaapi are installed -- remember that the user needs to be in the video group for vaapi).

If you provide me appropriate H.264/HEVC samples i can write a decoder benchmark as well (big buck bunny isn't a very good test case unfortunately).

Comment

Originally posted by fthiery View Post
        If you provide me appropriate H.264/HEVC samples i can write a decoder benchmark as well (big buck bunny isn't a very good test case unfortunately).
        To be clear - HEVC is H.265. 264 is much older.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
          Single thread performance vs. the previous leader, the i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz.
          Yeah more single thread performance can be interesting, i3 7350k @ 5.0ghz maybe interesting

Michael

Maybe can add G3258 OC in benchmarks, 4.0ghz and upper for example

Comment

Originally posted by coastiron View Post

To be clear - HEVC is H.265. 264 is much older.
            Yeah, i meant HEVC+AVC (or H.264+H.265); even if h264 is older i still think it's worth benchmarking since it's the current standard.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
              Save your time for RyZen I doubt anyone would care about quadcore benchmarks after its release.
              That depends on the application. For what I do, 8-core Ryzen is going to be extremely memory bandwidth starved with only two DDR4 channels.

Comment

Yeah but I don't know any quad channel- quad core on the market and Kaby Lake is a quad core. So there will of course be professional Zen cpus as well at some point for you but until then Broadwell-E is the one you should look at.

Comment

Working...
                X