Forum Spam/Filtering Redesign; 300+ Linux News/Articles/Reviews For November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
    the quick to the point answer should be in the first paragraph of wikipedia. If it is not there, we should improve it. I will start with the mesa article and the points you mentioned that are missing in the first paragraph as I have much freetime today (and a cold, so the couch it is). Let us see if it comes through the review and then we could poke michael to put the links. Or even better - let us the community do this work. Maybe the registered ones could be enabled to add like glossary tags to the bottom of an article?
    I already gave examples where the "quick and to the point answer" isn't always in the first paragraph of a wikipedia article. The wiki would be revolved around only stuff Phoronix articles discuss, rather than giving the generic overview that Wikipedia offers. Think of it like the Arch Linux wiki - it gives you a short amount of info describing what the thing is and then a few segments explaining how it relates to Arch. This wiki would be the same way, except the segments are focused on common news subjects and benchmarks - info that Wikipedia wouldn't nor shouldn't have.

As stated in my original post, I suggested this should be a community thing (which is also why I used the term "wiki"). Remember, the problem this is supposed to fix is to help quickly clue people in where Michael doesn't have the time to describe something every time he writes an article. And, to help people understand something maybe a little too technical that doesn't belong in Wikipedia.

Why I insist on wikipedia? I just think it would otherwise be too much work. If not - I am happy if you get our wiki started and will at least copy my wikipedia-work over
    It is a lot of work. Too much is debatable, if it actually works. Copying text directly from Wikipedia isn't the point of this.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I already gave examples where the "quick and to the point answer" isn't always in the first paragraph of a wikipedia article. The wiki would be revolved around only stuff Phoronix articles discuss, rather than giving the generic overview that Wikipedia offers. Think of it like the Arch Linux wiki - it gives you a short amount of info describing what the thing is and then a few segments explaining how it relates to Arch. This wiki would be the same way, except the segments are focused on common news subjects and benchmarks - info that Wikipedia wouldn't nor shouldn't have.

As stated in my original post, I suggested this should be a community thing (which is also why I used the term "wiki"). Remember, the problem this is supposed to fix is to help quickly clue people in where Michael doesn't have the time to describe something every time he writes an article. And, to help people understand something maybe a little too technical that doesn't belong in Wikipedia.

It is a lot of work. Too much is debatable, if it actually works. Copying text directly from Wikipedia isn't the point of this.
      yeah ok, I think I generally understand your idea better now. The mesa-wikipedia-article is mayb just a bad example, because it is already good (and now even better )
      Could you setup the wiki to get this started? I would contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
        yeah ok, I think I generally understand your idea better now. The mesa-wikipedia-article is mayb just a bad example, because it is already good (and now even better )
        Could you setup the wiki to get this started? I would contribute.
        I never created a wiki so I'm not entirely sure where to begin. I figure this should be on the phoronix.com domain too, which obviously I don't have access to.

I would much rather be a contributor than the proprietor of this.

Comment

Then we are back at square 1. I never created a wiki too...

Comment

Made a fix to the forums where some (5+ post) users were still getting an occasional moderated post... Hopefully fixed now!
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
            X