HTTPS Turned On By Default For Premium Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    It just isn't Phoronix.com but on this same server is OpenBenchmarking.org and other parts of the PTS infrastructure as well, which can get upwards of a million queries per day from PTS client interactions, etc.
    A million per day on your machine is still on average over a second of CPU time per request. Unless you have peak loads that are unusually high for a global project, that should be plenty. Are you IO-bound? Or do you have some uncached expensive code running?
    Maybe you should ask a benchmarking expert to profile your code and show you some low-hanging fruit to optimize

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
      A million per day on your machine is still on average over a second of CPU time per request. Unless you have peak loads that are unusually high for a global project, that should be plenty.
      Yeah, IMO any server bigger than a Raspberry Pi having problems with loads <100 req/s is definitely fishy.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It just isn't Phoronix.com but on this same server is OpenBenchmarking.org and other parts of the PTS infrastructure as well, which can get upwards of a million queries per day from PTS client interactions, etc.
        A million per day is *not big*.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

Yeah, IMO any server bigger than a Raspberry Pi having problems with loads <100 req/s is definitely fishy.
          And 100 is a whole order of magnitude bigger than what he's getting. He's getting just a DOZEN. Tiny. If we were getting that low of a request rate, I could let the "designers" go bananas with the php code.

Comment

I am wondering whether using https on the RSS feed would add additional unwanted load or not?

I don't mind who knows I read Phoronix, and since I use a password manager I have a unique password for the forums, and use a unique email address for the site too. Chances are the NSA and GCHQ have already singled me out as troublesome because I use linux!

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
              What makes Cloudflare any different than some random people? I have no idea who handles what data over at Cloudflare, but it's ok to just hand them my SSL keys, let them MITM me, and trust them just because they're a popular company?

In the case of Phoronix though, it's already been made clear user privacy isn't that significant, so the above doesn't exactly mean too much. But I'm assuming there was more than enough complaints from other people to reverse the decision to use it in the past.

Do you not use AWS? Do you not use GMail? Do you not use iCloud? Do you not use Digital Ocean or any other VPS?

Hats off to you if not, but nowadays, that's the digital equivalent of being the guy in the woods with solar panels growing his own food b/c he doesn't want to be beholden to society.

Comment

Working...
              X