The Spookiest (Most Viewed) Open-Source / Linux Articles This Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I do accept freelance articles, but only a handful of people in past 11 years have bothered to offer to help out.. This year was the first intern (eric) and am forever grateful to him.

Heck even before ad block rise, some were even paid. I am burning/burnt out and would much rather focus my time just on PTS but it becomes a huge balancing act, etc, while remaining committed to my goal of "enriching the Linux hardware ezpeeience " and Linux hardware reviews, etc. Ad companies these days are even more against Linux / open source than when I started in 2004... These days I really have new ad companies I deal with be against Linux rather than a neutral stance. Not to mention Microsoft pays more ad money than red hat or the like...
    In a way that's kind of screwed up. I do let some of the ads show. I always thought most people did too out of respect for you since you went through all the time to make this content available. It's obvious that you care enough to keep it going and you constantly update and improve things. No way around it, that's a good thing.

Maybe make something like a tip bucket with giant links at the beginning and the end of every article. Bitcoin usage seems rare and a lot of people don't trust paypal anymore after several of their fiasco's. There has to be some way to submit tips directly. There are several credit processing companies with established web services. I don't know if they are worth looking into or not, but it may well be. As long as tips are higher than the service fee it seems like it would be worthwhile.
    Last edited by duby229; 01 November 2015, 10:06 AM.

Comment

If you're a uBlock user, you can go to :
      chrome://ublock0/content/dashboard.html
      the select whitelist and add phoronix.com
      I use it with privacy badger which doesn't remove phoronix ads

Comment

Originally posted by kloumpt View Post
        If you're a uBlock user, you can go to :
        chrome://ublock0/content/dashboard.html
        the select whitelist and add phoronix.com
        I use it with privacy badger which doesn't remove phoronix ads
        Well, I have phoronix.com whitelisted, but still see no ads. It comes down to having enabled privacy.trackingprotection.enabled on Firefox.

My guess would be that your privacy badger is not doing its job?

Anyone knows if there is a way of letting ads come through for phoronix, with the tracking protection on Firefox?

Comment

The problem is that all adverts track you and break your privacy, so any privacy extension worth using will also remove the adverts.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Well, I have phoronix.com whitelisted, but still see no ads. It comes down to having enabled privacy.trackingprotection.enabled on Firefox.

My guess would be that your privacy badger is not doing its job?

Anyone knows if there is a way of letting ads come through for phoronix, with the tracking protection on Firefox?
            I've set it to only block the cookies for google ads on phoronix

Comment

Can the site code detect if the user is using ad-blocking? If so, display a window, explain the situation, ask nicely.

Comment

Michael,
                just to know and understand better your situation, if you force all your users to pay 1,99? a month would this be enough? Of course to get realistic user number that would really be fine in paying I'de estimate 30% of total active users.

Please let us know, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                  Michael,
                  just to know and understand better your situation, if you force all your users to pay 1,99€ a month would this be enough? Of course to get realistic user number that would really be fine in paying I'de estimate 30% of total active users.

Please let us know, thanks
                  Well, with around 800k~1M unique visitors a month, yes. But getting even 30% of active users to pay would be touch when considering premium has been around for years and has like less than 1%.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael
                    Your premium doesn't make sense. As long as i can have something free why should I pay? I won't, the max you can get from me is a donation. But that is something hard to predict. I generally donate 5? a year to wikipedia, but will I always do this? Who knows.

Force your service to be pay only like 1,29? a month. Free users will only see titles and first 3-4 sentances of your article.
                    I'm sure you'll loose instantly 70-75% of your users BUT you'll have 20-25% of loyal base customers.

Think about it.
                    If you force me to pay 15? a year i'll be the first one to pay (as I also have the guarantee that all the others pay too)

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                      Michael
                      Your premium doesn't make sense. As long as i can have something free why should I pay? I won't, the max you can get from me is a donation. But that is something hard to predict. I generally donate 5€ a year to wikipedia, but will I always do this? Who knows.

Force your service to be pay only like 1,29€ a month. Free users will only see titles and first 3-4 sentances of your article.
                      I'm sure you'll loose instantly 70-75% of your users BUT you'll have 20-25% of loyal base customers.

Think about it.
                      If you force me to pay 15€ a year i'll be the first one to pay (as I also have the guarantee that all the others pay too)
                      One other premium item I've contemplated is delaying new articles/posts from appearing on the Phoronix home page or side panel for like a few hours if you're not premium.... but would continue to be instant for those subscribing to RSS or Twitter or Facebook. Those links would all remain valid, but unless you're either checking the social networks or RSS, you wouldn't see the news instantly unless you're a premium member. Still playing around with that idea.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X