Turning A Basement Into A Big Linux Server Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rxonda View Post
    No Shooting Pool? What is so great about this basement?
    Kidding Michael, very nice job indeed!
    Im just wondering when you gonna install a Rackmount LCD Monitor Keyboard Drawer, like those we watched on 24 series at the CTU?
    Not much use when I have room on desks for monitors / keyboards and have them already, etc.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Now that's my dream setup and good job Michael!

I would LOVE to have almost an entire basement devoted to a computer lab with racks of servers and multi monitor PC setups...a geek's paradise

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        I worked on construction sites since I was 9 years old.
        As a GC that statement is scary. A hard hat required site would be lunacy to bring a 9 yo to and even general house construction is no place for a 9 yo.. whomever brought you there is insane. Of course
        by construction sites you could mean a wide range of construction but typically, unless you stayed by the trucks any kind of demo or even framing/roofing/walling seems too hectic and dangerous for a small child.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
          As a GC that statement is scary. A hard hat required site would be lunacy to bring a 9 yo to and even general house construction is no place for a 9 yo.. whomever brought you there is insane. Of course
          by construction sites you could mean a wide range of construction but typically, unless you stayed by the trucks any kind of demo or even framing/roofing/walling seems too hectic and dangerous for a small child.
          Started obviously doing basic stuff like picking up scraps, sweeping, and basic stuff, then worked my way up once gaining trust of people and learning things.... Had done Habitat for Humanity for probably like 5 years or so, since 9 years old. By the time I was 13~14 was earning money building sheds and decks with others and helping others out. It's from that work how I afforded the start of my computer equipment. it was at that point I became more focused on computers though and reserved building/construction stuff as a hobby/passion.

I was making news headlines long before Phoronix, among others.

Michael Larabel

Comment

Used to it? It's actually not that bad.... will record a video sometime.
            WTF!? I have 1/4 of your servers in my server room and I would like to use hearing protection when I have to stay there for more than 5 minutes!

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
            If it's loud at all in there, you should probably wear hearing protection if you go in there for extended periods--hearing loss and all that.
            Exactly!

P.S.
            Now you can work making your website faster :P
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

If I had the spare cash around, I'd take a bedroom, frame in a cold control room design, buy some SeaMicro servers w/ AMD and Intel boards, then throw in some workstation set ups, all contained in a climate controlled temp ala a Wine Cellar, with the proper dedicated breaker system and clean zone.

Call it a day and access the systems with a wired 10Gig Bit and WiFi configurations.

I wouldn't waste time on the amount of small little clone boxes. Then you could properly test the Server, Workstation GPGPUs and future ARM based cloud options.

Comment

$200~300 USD per month usually... But at least it's largely a business expense.
                FYI: To all the foreigners that's code speak for ``writing it off and putting it on the national debt.''

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  FYI: To all the foreigners that's code speak for ``writing it off and putting it on the national debt.''
                  Huh? Counting legitimate business expenses --and growing a business, which in turn paying more in taxes in the end -- means "putting it on the national debt"?
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

i was building roofs at the age of ~14-15 to about 22
                    don't remember much from when i was 9, except using a power drill and some other things in the workshop
                    ofc father or grandfather were there for the first few times

@Michael congrats
                    i'l never forget lifting a wood house with a big pipe by myself to balance it, construction gives some good experiences

Comment

Why are you being so harsh to Michael? Even youngsters like to set their own goals and make it a part of their lifetime!

And nice work, Michael!

Stone wool... I would like to make use of that if I decide to buy a house and renovate a second bedroom as a recording studio room. And yes, a 2-bedroom house with a garage is all I needed for someone like me who lives by myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X