Less Than Half The Phoronix Traffic Is From Linux Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    Better yet, choose one. Use one or the other, you can't have both. Time to make a final choice people, as it is now you are hurting Linux by dual-booting.
    A bit overdramatic, perhaps? They certainly can have both, there's no law against it. It's their personal choice of software, not war where you absolutely have to pick a side.

Dual-booters do not hurt anyone, unless the pain of having to dual boot counts as self-harm. For gamers it's still often the practical choice until more game developers start taking Linux seriously and/or their hardware gets better Linux support. Maybe they're still getting to know Linux, and like having something familiar to fall back on until they get the hang of things here on the sunny side. You know, in the end it's their business. It's not like developers pick platforms to support based on these statistics, so who cares what they browse with.

Posted from a Windows box (not mine) just to be a dick.

Comment

This is the point I've been trying to make. Most people dual-boot just to have Linux as bragging rights and to come to places like this and brag about how they use Linux. The fact is, 99% of a dual-booters time is spent in Windows.

People, you can't break the habit of being locked in to Windows if you continue to use Windows only Software. You have to take the plunge like I did and jump in head first so you can cure yourself of Microsoft's slave chains.

Better yet, choose one. Use one or the other, you can't have both. Time to make a final choice people, as it is now you are hurting Linux by dual-booting.
      You're accusing us of running Linux for bragging rights, while at the same time complaining that your club isn't exclusive enough?

I run Linux because it's a good server OS. I run Windows because it's a good desktop/gaming OS. I'm excited about Linux because it's catching up to Windows in those fields, but believe it or not, Linux isn't perfect. If it was, we wouldn't need to read Linux news.

Comment

This is the point I've been trying to make. Most people dual-boot just to have Linux as bragging rights and to come to places like this and brag about how they use Linux. The fact is, 99% of a dual-booters time is spent in Windows.

I agree to the first part of your analyses, that most dualbooters end up using windows 99.9% of the time. But I think they hurt primary themself not "linux", ok maybe they write some bad comments because of that, but who cares.

As gamer at the moment you have no real choice to not use windows. Except you give up on stuff. Except maybe you are a Konsolero then you can maybe give up on windows complete.

I use a usb-switch and a xrandr switch + 2 monitors and a low-power linux pc and a gaming rig on the other side. So I can relative painless and fast between the two. That ends up taht I dont just stay because of lazyness and because its good enough in linux when I stopp playing.

I jus tsend the pc in sleep mode 90% of the time. It has 2 additional adavantages it saves power and its less noisy.

Another possibility would be to vga-passthrough your grafics card to a windows vm. then you could switch even faster and easier. There you have the propriatary software at least seperated in a vm.

But even if wine and steam would be enough running linux with driver blob and many propriatary software is worse than my solution imho, so because "linux" alone helps you not, you want more freedom the windows kernel is not the primary problem.

Maybe in future I could replace that windows machine with a steammachine a bit better in usability but its still a unfree box then, which even if I would not care about other aspects of freedom I would not trust because of the world-nsa-dictatorship-and-police-state.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          No, Chrome is the ie6 of todays internet. Like all of Google's crap outside of search, it's a half working piece of shit.
          Do you have any data to back up your claims or is Google/Chrome just evil in your black and white world?

At least on my machine Chrome works very well. It never crashed for me and it displays every page I visit properly.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            I agree to the first part of your analyses, that most dualbooters end up using windows 99.9% of the time.
            In that case I'm in the 0.1%. I have this PC set up to dual-boot Windows, but I only spend a few hours in it each month (since there is one piece of software I need that doesn't work even in a virtual machine).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              In that case I'm in the 0.1%. I have this PC set up to dual-boot Windows, but I only spend a few hours in it each month (since there is one piece of software I need that doesn't work even in a virtual machine).
              good if you only keep windows to flash your bios that is maybe a special case but people who use Windows on a daily basis or at least a few times a week often dont want to boot back and forth.

Especialy Gamers, if you maybe play a while then do some browsing etc and then later play more it often does not make sense.

Comment

I am too lazy to fake my UserAgent to Linux when I am at work. We are forced to use Windows there, at least for all non-private computers, but these are the only ones with internet access.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  good if you only keep windows to flash your bios that is maybe a special case but people who use Windows on a daily basis or at least a few times a week often dont want to boot back and forth.

Especialy Gamers, if you maybe play a while then do some browsing etc and then later play more it often does not make sense.
                  By now there is a decent number of quality games, my windows only see action about 3 times a month when there is a specific game I want. Hopefully it will soon become completely unnecessary.

Comment

Speaking of dual booting, I have a laptop that my parents are using that is also dual-booting. Interestingly enough, it also ends up booting Linux most of the time. The story there is quite interesting.

The previous laptop they used also had Windows (XP) installed, but the disk started having massive corruption issues (not surprising, since it was a Scorpio Blue and at the time I didn't know about WDIDLE3), and since for hardware debugging Linux is much better, plus it has sane filesystems, I switched the OS to Linux. It took a while for my parents to adapt (and they still feel rather grungy about it). Just recently they decided to upgrade to a new laptop, and that one had Windows 8 preinstalled. They insisted on keeping it. I didn't object too much, but set it up for dual boot, just in case. One program they use a lot is Skype. The complicated nature of Windows 8 (they ended up in Windows Market while trying to find the web browser, for instance) and the unworkability of the Windows 8 version of Skype, plus the availability of KMahjongg (which they really liked once I showed it to them; no other Mahjong variant seems to match it in terms of layouts and customisability) on Linux means that they now boot into Linux by default. Windows 8 is still there, but it's now just a token for their peace of mind – so that if they ever find a program they absolutely want to run, they can boot into it and use it etc. (not likely to happen in practice, as the most sophisticated software needs they have had so far were fulfilled by digiKam).

So, thanks to Microsoft's very silly decisions lately, they are staying committed to Linux, stronger than before (maybe only with an occasional thought of me having done some sort of a conspiracy ). Thanks for digging that grave of yours, Microsoft, it's very appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                      Because the World is not Black and White. I like GNU/Linux, but not as a Desktop Environment.
                      I have to agree, I used Linux as my desktop from 1995 until 2012... and for a desktop it just plain sucks. Always something not working right or got screwed up by updates, not to mention most X environments are huge ram hogs except maybe Xfce. I still use Linux on my servers and would not use anything else... but for a desktop I'm sticking with Windows, for the most part everything just works and I don't miss spending hours or a day messing around with something or arguing with wine just to say it works on Linux too.

Comment

Working...
                      X