Time For Feedback On A New Phoronix Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Responsive design

I've said it once and I'll say it again, responsive design please! it's the wave of the future! Done correctly, the site looks great on any screen resolution; elements shift and move as the window size changes. Another benefit is when / if 4k is adopted, all you do is plug in rules for that resolution and your site looks beautiful on those devices as well. No one size fits all approach works anymore (and zooming on mobile is horrid). HTML5 and CSS3 are built to be responsive.

Also please keep your unique color scheme, just make the layout look good on all resolutions.

Comment

My 2c... Keep the green (branding and such) go for a mobile first layout using something like bootstrap3 or foundation. I understand that you are time poor so this would would be a win win for your redesign.

Is there a git repository that could be cloned so others could have a crack?

Comment

Ad ad for the Keystone pipeline is offensive

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Speaking of which, I see the first image has an ad that says "Support the Keystone XL pipeline". What. I didn't expect the US oil industry to fall low enough to resort to *ads* for this...
        I believe it is the duty and obligation of all of us to refuse to run or support propaganda from TransCanada pushing this Earth-destroying project. I speak as someone who has stormed office buildings with Earth First!, then published video of these direct actions, against the pipeline due to it's impact on Native American people as well as on global climate. I am used to seeing shit you might see in a video game in meatspace over this issue!

Comment

I don't like the new design. For me both proposals looks ugly. I don't see any reason to change current design, which is good.

Comment

The current default is way better IMO than the proposed changes.

You should probably consuder having a mobile-first layout and building from there (maybe into a two column layout)

Comment

For those asking about the mobile version, the first (left) column will likely be disabled in mobile version.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                I like the green too, albeit you can check out my Twitter feed from yesterday and people were complaining earlier revisions had too much green.
                Hey Michael, why don't you set up a sub-site (beta.phoronix.com?) Doesn't need to have account integration, but it can just be a place for people to see how the site actually looks on their computers / phones, browsers, screen sizes, etc. They might be able to give you more specific feedback
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Get the community more involved, git repository, design contest, etc.

Comment

I like the current gray/white/green scheme. It's much easier on my eyes.

Comment

Here's another shot based on feedback so far - https://twitter.com/michaellarabel/s...148288/photo/1
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X