Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Laptops Would You Like To See Tested On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to see something Bay Trail based, a chromebook or other low cost notebook (with touch)

Comment

Samsung:
      Visit Samsung today for Errors/404. You'll find product reviews, answers and support information. Imagine what Samsung can do for you!

One of the most beautiful laptops, and quite a powerful one as well.

Comment

HP Spectre 13-h200ef X2 (hybrid laptop and tablet)

The HP Spectre 13-h200 X2 is an interesting laptop and tablet (it's a fanless machine with a haswell intel processor and a fullHD 13"3 IPS touch screen). There are currently some backlight issue on linux though...
        Last edited by remjg; 26 November 2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
          Samsung:
          Visit Samsung today for Errors/404. You'll find product reviews, answers and support information. Imagine what Samsung can do for you!

I can tell you anything you need to know about that one, I'm using it.

Essentially everything is fine except I haven't gotten the discrete card to do jack, so I just turn it off with acpi_call.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            Samsung:

Ask away, I have one. Everythings great except I never figured out or cared enough to make the discrete card do jack, so I just shut it off with acpi_call. Any ideas? I imagine even if I got it rendering something though I'd be better off with the results from the Intel :P

Comment

I just wonder why Michael has to spend time in Russia to focus on a new PTS release? Too much distraction at home?

Buy a laptop with AMD (Kabini would be of interest indeed), non-glare screen and in any case (intel, AMD, ARM, whatever) without any Microsoft tax.
              Tell us about screen, battery runtime and how the keyboards feels and the keyboard layout. Most important factors on a notebook in my opinion. Besides Interfaces, but nearly no laptop today features a good set of interfaces.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Vaio pro 13.

Comment

So far I'm leaning towards an ASUS device (Zenbook perhaps).... I would also love to get a Lenovo again, but if buying from Lenovo.com it looks like their ship times are mostly 2+ weeks out so that wouldn't work for me since I need the device in the next 2 weeks. But will be making final decisions on purchases on Friday / whenever seeing really good deals.

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  I just wonder why Michael has to spend time in Russia to focus on a new PTS release? Too much distraction at home?
                  Setting up new office there.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Metroid_III View Post
                    Ask away, I have one. Everythings great except I never figured out or cared enough to make the discrete card do jack, so I just shut it off with acpi_call. Any ideas? I imagine even if I got it rendering something though I'd be better off with the results from the Intel :P
                    I have a Samsung as well, but an older version (the one with HD 6750m). Like you, I also have disabled the discrete graphics. I got some advices on how to get the discrete working with the open source drivers but I just didn't have time to try it out (very busy these days). Catalyst was a complete failiure with broken vertical sync. The only other thing I couldn't get to work well is the internal mic which has a lot of noise, so I have to use a USB headset whenever I want to voice chat. Have you seen a similar issue with the mic?

Comment

I've been interested in the Lenovo y510p with dual graphics and ssd, i5 or i7. A gaming laptop on a student budget and chance to test sli and ssd caching could be a couple interesting articles beyond a new laptop review. For the low end a Haswell pentuim or celleron would be nice as AMDs budget offerings really don't offer anything new.
                      My 2 cents.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      So far I'm leaning towards an ASUS device (Zenbook perhaps).... I would also love to get a Lenovo again, but if buying from Lenovo.com it looks like their ship times are mostly 2+ weeks out so that wouldn't work for me since I need the device in the next 2 weeks. But will be making final decisions on purchases on Friday / whenever seeing really good deals.

Setting up new office there.

Comment

Working...
                      X