Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nll_a
    So if it's Canonical's code it's horrible, if it's someone else's code it's cool. Got it.
    nope if that code is in C is tolerable since control flow in ISO C is not exactly awesome compared to C++ RAII, on the other hand if that code were trully C++ would be horrible because RAII control flows are wayyyyyyyyy better, still i pragmatically don't consider goto a good way to go but as was pointed is only present in logging code not in logic code

Comment

• Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
      Did you miss the sarcasm tag?

That's actually from Wayland or rather Weston... But I knew some idiot would claim it is ugly just because I said it is from Mir. It is the handle_setmaster function in this file: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/...eston-launch.c

I just changed some names around to remove any hint that it is from Weston.
      Well played sir, well played.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        and goto asm dump are ugly and sometimes insecure, im picky and pragmatic what can i say
        why is that? How is having a jump in C++ terrible compared to when doing it in ASM?

Comment

• Originally posted by boast View Post
          why is that? How is having a jump in C++ terrible compared to when doing it in ASM?
          In c++ you have a reasonable exceptions system. C on the other hand lack this. A very useful solution is goto. On the other hand goto is very light and fast and can be used in performance critical situation also in c:ish c++.
          Last edited by Akka; 02 August 2013, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• This poll makes me impression and explain why, this site is a very technical, very popular with users 'technical', which explains the success of Arch-Linux, but I am rather surprised Ubuntu so high as it is directed to a different target .
            I apologize for my English.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
              This poll makes me impression and explain why, this site is a very technical, very popular with users 'technical', which explains the success of Arch-Linux, but I am rather surprised Ubuntu so high as it is directed to a different target .
              Arch Linux isn't even on the list. The reason Manjaro has to most votes, is because someone spammed the pool on their forums and a bunch of 0 post guys voted for Manjaro. It gained 100 votes in 12 hours, before that and was way behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                This poll makes me impression and explain why, this site is a very technical, very popular with users 'technical', which explains the success of Arch-Linux, but I am rather surprised Ubuntu so high as it is directed to a different target .
                Not every one of us hardcore tech types want to dick with the actual computer all day. My servers/workstations use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS because I just want to use the damn machines until the hardware dies. My days of Slackware, starting in 1996, are long gone! From SunOS/Solaris/Irix/MacOSX/Windows*/etc I'm not bothered by GUI nuances and even find that Unity works well for me. I don't care about Mir/Wayland as I think in time everything will be just fine and the Linux community will move onto the next bit minutae to bitch about. Ubuntu is popular, I can find answers to questions quickly, 12.04 is supported nicely for CUDA development, I haven't had issues installing any Oracle products, VMWare just works and so forth.

Why not Fedora or Centos? I've been there, they work, but Ubuntu just seemed to be a smoother experience to me. For a hardcore server of course I would (and have) gone the CentOS route.

You're implying that Ubuntu is solely directed to the casual user. I'd extend that statement to include people that have other things to do than play with the OS, much like OSX (which I also like very much).

At this point I spend my time supporting my family, driving fun cars, brewing beer and NOT recompiling kernels.

PS, your english is just fine

(Fun cars, 2004 STi sold on the right, reverse engineered the ECU, I built a custom meth system, turbo etc for 500+ HP. My current car, 2010 ISF, on the left since I wanted RWD for a change, 420HP stock)

(Imperial stout, 14% alcohol)

Both hobbies more fun for me than recompiling kernels!
                Last edited by Tgui; 02 August 2013, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Never tried Manjaro nor Arch but Suse back in 1998. Happy with Ubuntu...but hey your cars are nothing special to me. I'd rather buy a electric soon. Any your beer...well I'd at least try it.

Comment

• Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                    Never tried Manjaro nor Arch but Suse back in 1998. Happy with Ubuntu...but hey your cars are nothing special to me. I'd rather buy a electric soon. Any your beer...well I'd at least try it.
                    Hey, I'd take a Tesla S but they weren't available when I bought my ISF

Comment

• Originally posted by Tgui View Post
                      Not every one of us hardcore tech types want to dick with the actual computer all day.
                      You hardly save any time with Ubuntu over Arch. Arch isn't like slackware was 1996. Everything more or less works out of the box, just like with Ubuntu. Probably because most of the software is identical in all distros. You don't get Unity and you don't get upstart, the rest don't differ that much. My theory is people exaggerate their difficulties with Arch as some sort of identifications. My impression is Arch is way more stable than a new release from Canonical. Probably Ubuntu is more stable one month after release or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X