Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    work in progress thats why it has been in 3 releases.... 12.10 13.04 13.10 and it's not going away
    Why should it go away? It is going to get better. You will be able to configure the lens and scopes as you like. Hey man, if that keeps you from using Ubuntu then that's fine, just don't use it. However, there is no reason for you to shit all over the Ubuntu project and community.

Comment

• well lets do it fairly,
      1.) if the article in question affects Mir/upstart/Unity or other canonical exclusive part get the priority bench for Ubuntu
      2.) if the article in question affects GNU/Linux standard Wayland/systemd/DE the priority goes to Manjaro/Fedora <-- since none of those work on Ubuntu OS

Comment

• Originally posted by Temar View Post
        I disagree and honestly I think you are the one who's not getting the point.

In my opinion the distribution(s) with the highest number of users should be benchmarked. There is no point in benchmarking a distribution which is barely used.

I really don't care what performance I could get if I was using distribution X. I will always use the distribution which has the highest number of users because simply put, it attracts the most packagers. This way I can use prepackaged software and concentrate on my work instead of my OS.

Benchmarking something that is not used, just for the sake of a technology preview, is only helpful from an academic point of view. But it's useless if the majority of the Linux users are not able to benefit from this performance simply because they are using a different distribution. That might be the fault of the distribution still it doesn't change anything for the end user.
        Android>windows>macosx>Debian>like you said the most users and Ubuntu is based off from Debian Unstalbe

heres a little better one http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...roTimeline.png
        Last edited by LinuxGamer; 28 July 2013, 05:59 PM.

Comment

what is this "Mir" thing you're talking about i only know of a Vaporware called Mir

You may dislike Mir, but it's not vaporware (any more than wayland is vaporware). It's being rapidly developed and on schedule.

Comment

Android>windows>macosx>Debian>like you said the most users and Ubuntu is based off from Debian Unstalbe
            I'm not sure why you are listing android, windows and mac os, because I was clearly talking about Linux distributions. Also why on earth did you attach the Linux distro timeline image?

About Debian: With Ubuntu you can use most Debian packages and also most *buntu packages => more packages available to choose from. But I really give a shit. If the majority of the users use OpenSuSE tomorrow, then I will switch to OpenSuSE.

Comment

• Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
              The dash is a work in progress.
              Of course , they are heavily working to integrate Lens inside Dash... something like hardcoded coordinates in Unity.
              Obviously you can always change all the sources and recompile (it's open source baby), or even install another DE. Oops ... no. Sorry you can not install another DE on MIR.

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
              Not everyone get things right the first time. A notice has since been put in place for users to know exactly what happens when they search in the dash. If they don't like it then they can disable it. If they are fine with it then they can use it. I don't see exactly where the problem is.
              The "right things" aren't so difficult to guess: if users want receive advertisement they can enable amazon-lens.
              Great idea (even if not so original), don't you think?

But, perhaps this is beyond the scope of dash + lens: which is to be a spyware.

So, no opt-in question, instead users can opt for a confused choice where spyware is enabled and purposed to them... by design, in a perfect Canonical/Ubuntu "flavour".

Comment

• Originally posted by Maudit View Post
                Of course , they are heavily working to integrate Lens inside Dash... something like hardcoded coordinates in Unity.
                Obviously you can always change all the sources and recompile (it's open source baby), or even install another DE. Oops ... no. Sorry you can not install another DE on MIR.

The "right things" aren't so difficult to guess: if users want receive advertisement they can enable amazon-lens.
                Great idea (even if not so original), don't you think?

But, perhaps this is beyond the scope of dash + lens: which is to be a spyware.

So, no opt-in question, instead users can opt for a confused choice where spyware is enabled and purposed to them... by design, in a perfect Canonical/Ubuntu "flavour".
                You clearly do not have enough knowledge to speak to the topic.

Regards.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mir-team/mir/trunk/files

You may dislike Mir, but it's not vaporware (any more than wayland is vaporware). It's being rapidly developed and on schedule.
                  ok let me know when it's releases and usable and Stable i only seen Xmir working Aka Xwayland

btw i used Wayland and Xwayland and Weston them 3 work fine and are in Real Repos

Comment

• Originally posted by Temar View Post
                    I'm not sure why you are listing android, windows and mac os, because I was clearly talking about Linux distributions. Also why on earth did you attach the Linux distro timeline image?

About Debian: With Ubuntu you can use most Debian packages and also most *buntu packages => more packages available to choose from. But I really give a shit. If the majority of the users use OpenSuSE tomorrow, then I will switch to OpenSuSE.
                    maybe you did not look at all the debian repos it may have by far more then Ubuntu

and we all know Debian has over 37500 packages just in it's standard repos

Comment

ok let me know when it's releases and usable and Stable i only seen Xmir working Aka Xwayland

btw i used Wayland and Xwayland and Weston them 3 work fine and are in Real Repos

Comment

Working...
                      X