Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok this is pissing me off http://voices.canonical.com/tag/skunkworks/
    Ubuntu is not a community project!!!!
    In today’s rapidly evolving IT landscape, Linux system administration stands out as one of the most sought-after skills. Whether you’re an aspiring IT professional, someone transitioning to Linux from another platform, or a seasoned sysadmin aiming to brush up on your skills, the Linux System Administration (LFS307) course is tailored just for you. Offered by… Read More »Linux System Administration (LFS307) Course Review

Comment

• Originally posted by simonandric5 View Post
      bodhi linux
      lubuntu

+ my favourite

kubuntu

AND

kubuntu PROJECT NEON

s.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
        ok this is pissing me off http://voices.canonical.com/tag/skunkworks/
        Ubuntu is not a community project!!!!
        http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/0...y-project.html
        It's certainly true that Canonical has chosen to keep things in the dark much more than a typical community project. However, this does not discredit. Many other projects that are hugely popular with the public are much more closed than Ubuntu is. If anything, the fact that Ubuntu deviates from the traditional Linux stack makes it more interesting to benchmark, not less: something different like Ubuntu might be faster or better in some other way. Moreover, you are making a false dichotomy: while Ubuntu isn't completely open, it is neither completely closed. It is still much more community-oriented than the likes of Windows or OS X.

I'd refrain being an idealist, which is what you are being. Whatever merits you assign to different projects are not strictly linked to their utility, and claiming otherwise is nothing but hand-waving. In reality, people have many reasons for doing what they do, some reasons more rational than others, but no one's more valid than anyone else's.

Comment

• Originally posted by tga.d View Post
          I don't understand why Xubuntu isn't the obvious option.
          Same here. It's what I voted for, based on the requirements and what Michael said he liked (ubuntu's release schedule, Xfce). There's no reason to move away from Xubuntu unless Mir starts affecting its performance.

(I personally use Debian sid, but I don't think it would be good for the purpose.)

Comment

• Why not just have generic options:

1) RPM-based
            2) Debian-based
            3) Ubuntu-based
            4) Arch-based
            5) Gentoo-based
            6) Slack-based

Yes i know Ubuntu uses Debian as the base but considering how hard Canonical wants to diverge from the base distribution it very well deserves its own category by now.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanL View Post
              Same here. It's what I voted for, based on the requirements and what Michael said he liked (ubuntu's release schedule, Xfce). There's no reason to move away from Xubuntu unless Mir starts affecting its performance.

(I personally use Debian sid, but I don't think it would be good for the purpose.)
              Xubuntu team has stated they will NOT be using Mir. They are staying on Xorg for the time and will eventually move to Wayland.

XFCE will also be using Wayland as well.

Comment

• well arch/manjaro are coming back as solid third, go guys

Comment

• This is a tough choice, partly because I have two favorite distros but also because it depends on what your goal is. If you want to test what is more representative of what is "standard" linux you'll want a distro that closely cooperates with upstream, like openSUSE. If you want to test what people are more likely to be using than Ubuntu is the obvious choice. Then again components like systemd/wayland will have more users total when you take into account how many distros will be using them, so I'm going to refrain from voting since I'm having a hard time deciding what is most important.

Comment

• I love Fedora but use Ubuntu

I love Fedora more, but I use Ubuntu for a strange reason.

This might be the World strangest reason.
                    My beloved Wife likes Ubuntu for its easiness
                    She is not a tech person. Just surfs Internet and plays Flash based games.

Comment

• Welp, looks like a tie. We'll need a tiebreaker poll for it, that's for sure. And no, if the difference is less than 5%, it's statistically insignificant, so just a few votes either way doesn't mean it's not a tie.

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                      As a sidenote : I really see no sense in having Mint and Xubuntu being there. Unless either of them is planning to rebase the only reason to pick them would be as a message to Ubuntu rather than for their own advantages over it. The DE is all but irrelevant (realistically speaking) and if anything Mint's 2 main DE's are dead code or a bigger mess than current Unity and almost certainly the Qt-based Unity.

Just run Fedora with which ever DE makes you life easier, Michael.
                      The DE is very relevant to 2D and 3D benchmarks.

Originally posted by dietrdan View Post
                      PS: I would like to see less hatred in this forum
                      Well, it's not so much hatred as troll-on-troll battles from both sides.

Comment

Working...
                      X