No announcement yet.

Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm quite surprised to see Fedora leading. Don't get me wrong, I would have voted for them nevertheless. When I read the previous article and subsequent thread I thought Fedora or OpenSUSE made equal sense but was going to support Fedora since I have more faith in them leading the advancements in desktop Linux, I use it myself and their close to upsteam, cutting edge approach just agrees with me.

As a sidenote : I really see no sense in having Mint and Xubuntu being there. Unless either of them is planning to rebase the only reason to pick them would be as a message to Ubuntu rather than for their own advantages over it. The DE is all but irrelevant (realistically speaking) and if anything Mint's 2 main DE's are dead code or a bigger mess than current Unity and almost certainly the Qt-based Unity.

Just run Fedora with which ever DE makes you life easier, Michael.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
      don't you know the next release of Ubuntu is going to be BSD
      I think you are the biggest troll i have ever seen in my life! Congrats!

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
      would be nice if true, probably bsd model fit more canonical goals than Linux/GPL
      and some idiots take you seriously.. Epicfail!
      Last edited by verde; 27 July 2013, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rvalles View Post
        Interesting claim. Source?
        You've got to be kidding me. Have you just missed statistic some other people already posted in this thread? But if that's not enough there's also steam:

Steam February Survey Stats: Linux Market Share Has Almost Doubled Compared To January ~ Ubuntu / Linux blog

Comment

• Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          would be nice if true, probably bsd model fit more canonical goals than Linux/GPL
          Yeah, that's why Mir is GPL licensed. Go home troll. BSD is dead.

Comment

• I voted for Fedora but use Arch, however I see trouble with SELINUX being a representative as I would wager most use Vanilla-ish kernels.

Arch is awesome but too technical for casual Linux users, I just couldn't vote for it. Ubuntu/Mint should be used until Ubuntu strays too far away from distro solidarity.

Comment

• I think the poll should have been set up between ubuntu and "anything else". And if ubuntu is planning to separate itself from everything else by adopting MIR etc, then "anything else" is the obvious choice (unless phoronix plans to become a site for ubuntu users instead of being a site for linux users in general).
              What exactly this "anything else" is doesn't matter, as long as it is generic enough from benchmarking pov (pick the distro that is the least trouble to work with).

Comment

• I don't understand why Xubuntu isn't the obvious option. It uses a standard graphics stack, and standard packages, yet has pretty much all the features you could want from Ubuntu (in particular, a debian base with off-the-shelf ppa usage). I seriously don't see what the downside is.

Comment

• Originally posted by tga.d View Post
                  I don't understand why Xubuntu isn't the obvious option. It uses a standard graphics stack, and standard packages, yet has pretty much all the features you could want from Ubuntu (in particular, a debian base with off-the-shelf ppa usage). I seriously don't see what the downside is.
                  hold on your making too much sense

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                  Yeah, that is why they release their projects as GPLv3
                  thats why its under the CLA too? BSD is more free then the CLA

Originally posted by verde View Post
                  I think you are the biggest troll i have ever seen in my life! Congrats!
                  and some idiots take you seriously.. Epicfail!
                  sorry you kiddys get so mad over a little joke but the CLA is real

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  You've got to be kidding me. Have you just missed statistic some other people already posted in this thread? But if that's not enough there's also steam:
                  http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/steam...ats-linux.html
                  steam february survey hmm did you look at the June 2013 one Ubuntu has taken a Hit http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  Yeah, that's why Mir is GPL licensed. Go home troll. BSD is dead.
                  thats why the PS4 us going to use it and parts of Ubuntu use it and once more Mir is Under the CLA as well BSD>CLA any day

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  The level of butthurt on this thread from Ubuntu Fans is OVER 9000!!!!

you know it

Comment

• Originally posted by pmorph View Post
                    I think the poll should have been set up between ubuntu and "anything else". And if ubuntu is planning to separate itself from everything else by adopting MIR etc, then "anything else" is the obvious choice (unless phoronix plans to become a site for ubuntu users instead of being a site for linux users in general).
                    What exactly this "anything else" is doesn't matter, as long as it is generic enough from benchmarking pov (pick the distro that is the least trouble to work with).
                    Great idea, except anything else is also different. KDE, Gnome, XFCE or E17? While all of them will be using Wayland it will still make a difference.

Comment

• I did vote for Ubuntu, because I think Ubuntu is one of the most used flavor with sane defaults. It has the most desktop users by far, so it's only fair to see it benchmarked the most.
                      I myself use Manjaro Linux (Arch-based), and would like to see it or Arch Linux compared against Ubuntu, Fedora & OpenSuse.

PS: I would like to see less hatred in this forum
                      Michael, keep up the good work, your doing a great job!

Comment

Working...
                      X