Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Would You Like To See Next From Phoronix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IO schedulers

Hello Michael.

it would be really cool to see performance comparation of IO schedulers.
    I mena, everyone is useng them or not. And it would be curious to see what are good ones for some specific application and overall.

Comment

Overall I really like Phoronix. Some of the annoyances:

In the tests, create a table to list the different platforms you are testing instead of writing it all out in a paragraph full of numbers that all blend together.

More interesting games tests - Nexuiz is good, but most of the rest are useless. How about adding UT2004, Doom3, and maybe Portal2 or some WINE game?

Get rid of the links in all your articles, or at least highlight the ones that are actually related to the current article and not just links back to previous Phoronix articles.

Comment

How about I'll whitelist Phoronix in AdBlock, and maybe even Ghostery when you drop the overly invasive ads, stop page whoring, stop posting crap that has not been corroborated or is completely unresearched and start doing more competent reviews.

Till then I'm only hear to read whats up with the AMD and G3D driver devs or to complain with the rest about the sloppy state of the site.

Comment

Recommended Builds/Buys or Build Helper tools

I often find myself wanting to know what the phoronix guys would build (for workstations) or buy (for laptops). Many sites have a buyer's guide, but I've not run across one with a buyer's guide specifically with Linux in mind. (This was touched on earlier by another user who wanted stats on the components you review as an aid in building his own hardware.)

Comment

Just the freaking hardware/software summary tables in the articles everyone keeps asking for, since it seems the transition to the "new" phoronix is still going to take some time. That's the only thing I want to see. I'm sure I'm not alone in this one.

Comment

GCC -O0 vs. -O1 vs. -O2, vs. -O3 vs. -Os vs. -O3 + LDFLAGS optimization vs. -O3 + LDFLAGS optimization + OpenMP loop optimization + Graphite loop optimazation.

This should be interesting for OSS benchmarks

Comment

How many people are working in Phoronix?
                I offtenly see a firm which proclaims "we" while there is only one employee, director hisself.

Comment

Interview Johnny Hughes and ask him how CentOS is any different from WhiteBox now that he's screwed his users (ungrateful bastards (1)) with a 3 month lag of security updates with no guarantee that there will not be another such lag between 6.0 and 6.1.

1 http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/ce...ay/111670.html

Comment

Originally posted by wstorm View Post
                    I offtenly see a firm which proclaims "we" while there is only one employee, director hisself.
                    Matthew Tippet works on phoronix test suite as well, but on the news site and forums I think it's just "director hisself".

Comment

Originally posted by wstorm View Post
                      Me... For news, featured articles, and everything else. Hence why many of these article requests can't be fulfilled, besides not many hardware vendors participating in the Linux media scene.

There were other contributors in past years, but not anymore. From time to time there are some random contributors for a random article, but I think that's maybe 1~3 times a year. Usually when referencing 'we' in modern articles, it means the Phoronix Test Suite and I. And sometimes, the Phoronix Test Suite, Augustiner / Franziskaner beer, and I Or in some cases, the community.

The Phoronix Test Suite is a separate venture, but yes, the code is largely just developed by me as well. But that at least has Matthew Tippett on board with the commercial side, etc.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X