The Phoronix Forums Have Been Upgraded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Maybe use the dark green at the top of each post for the whole border around it.
    This could be a good idea to add some more definition to the posts.

@Michael, the simplest way to do this would be to just copy the hex value from postbithead_border to postbit_border if you want to make this change. You may find that there appears to be a double border in some areas when you make the postbit_border darker though, so you may also want to get rid of the postbitheader_border (just set it to 0 width) as it doesn't really add much to the appearance of the post.

Comment

I appreciate the move away from fixed width (it makes it harder to read on large screens, but there's always the possibility to unmaximize the window, on the other hand fixed width was a pain on small laptop screens).

However, there's a lot of wasted vertical space, and the uniform white color just exacerbates it. If possible, it would be great if some could be saved, like less vertical space between posts and the post title either included on the green bar next to the date, or removed when not used (nobody ever writes titles for their posts, and we get a wasted line with just the icon of a page).

At the moment, even though the fixed width has disappeared, we still can't see more than two or three posts at a time, sometimes even just one post, and still have to scroll like crazy.

As for the colors, darker colors would be nice, or a mix with darker colors so it's not like starring a lightbulb.

Comment

Looks good to me.

Comment

It looks like an OpenSUSE forum...
          its a bit bright a well, more than it should...

Comment

@Michael: please remove Calibri from the CSS, it breaks badly on Linux due to its embedded bitmaps. Try using Candara instead - thanks!

Comment

Edit: you are specifying identical fonts in multiple places:

Code:
              .bbcode_container div.bbcode_quote {
                  font-family: "Tahoma", "Calibri", "Verdana", "Geneva", sans-serif;
              }

body, legend {
                  font-family: "Tahoma", "Calibri", "Verdana", "Geneva", sans-serif;
              }
              You should probably remove the first declaration and keep the body/legend one.

Please avoid Tahoma and Calibri, both look ugly on many Linux distributions. Additionally, they have wildly different metrics with Verdana and might break things. I'd suggest something like this:
              Code:
                  font-family: "Candara", "Lucida Grande", "Ubuntu", "Droid Sans", "Geneva", "Arial", sans-serif;
              This way, you have at least one beautiful font for each OS (including mobile ones, like iOS and Android).

Comment

And for some bling:

Code:
                h1, h2 {
                    text-shadow: #ddd 1px 1px 1px;
                }

Comment

removing the pesky one-minute time limit on editing messages
                  Oh yeah!! At long last
                  About the new theme, it's nice that it doesn't look like it's 1998 anymore, but it's a good readability practice to set a max-width on the text blocks to something like 40em or even less. Any more than that it starts to become very hard to read because the lines are huge, making the user's eyes travel a long distance to get to the beggining of the next line. This increases the chance of landing on the wrong line. I'm using a monitor with 1400px wide and this is really a problem. Can't imagine the hell it must be on a 1920px wide one.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                    to something like 40em or even less.
                    This is when using the base 16px font-size. You should also consider adding some @media queries to enlarge the font-size on big screens.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                      it's a good readability practice to set a max-width on the text blocks to something like 40em or even less. Any more than that it starts to become very hard to read because the lines are huge, making the user's eyes travel a long distance to get to the beggining of the next line. This increases the chance of landing on the wrong line. I'm using a monitor with 1400px wide and this is really a problem. Can't imagine the hell it must be on a 1920px wide one.
                      I'm on a 1920 pixel width monitor and I don't have such problems simply because you never, ever, maximize application windows on such monitors. You only maximize vertically (middle-click on maximize button).

How big the window you're viewing text in is up to you, not up to the website.

Comment

Working...
                      X