The Phoronix Forums Have Been Upgraded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, this is cool!
    1) Black on white no longer hurts my eyes so I no longer have to use the "No color" FF extension for the phoronix forum.
    2) full screen forum.
    3) overall better and smoother look and feel
    4) hopefully the 1 minute rule will be gone

Good work phoronix staff!

Comment

The bright background is only annoying because Phoronix.com itself is so dark. Following a comments link just to have most of your monitor switch from dark pixels to bright is what makes it so jarring to look at. Either make Phoronix.com match the forum or make the forum match Phoronix.com.

The "whole width" thing is also avoided on mainstream websites for a very good reason, and not because of some archaic mistake. Longer lines of text are actually harder and more stressful to read. The distance between the end and beginning of each line of text is longer, which makes it harder for the eye to keep its place when scanning lines and requires more effort and careful scanning to read any paragraph that actually breaks across lines. Narrower but taller blocks of text are superior in terms of readability, which is why columned text layouts are so popular; the fact that you have to scroll more is a trade-off, certainly, but one I personally find more than worth it. But then, I run two 21.5" 1080p screens on my desktop and a 17" 1080p on my laptop, so I tend to have a lot more horizontal space than most.

Comment

Huuuuuuuuuge change but we 'll get used to it

Comment

A suggestion for Michael

Is it possible to remove the "Started by xxxx at xxxxxxxxxx" under the Thread title. it adds so much visual clutter. You can keep the original poster but the date is pretty much irrelevant.

Also if possible move the page count of the thread next to the title. Makes for a more linear mouse movement.

Comment

i'm not super familiar with forum software in particular and this is may be possible across the board, but anyway i do know that on another forum i'm on, that uses the same software, they allow users to choose between certain presets of colors.

if some folks out there are really turned off by the new white background, perhaps you could add it as an option to let them choose between white on black and black on white ?

here's the kicker though: you didn't mention whether you remove that ONE MINUTE EDIT LIMIT ???

Comment

NO YOU DIDN'T !!! ... darnit !! :P

seriously though would you at least i dunno, explain it ? ..... i think everyone is as much confused as they are annoyed by that setting ..

Comment

The new colour scheme's going to make reading old posts with user selected light coloured text. :-(

Still, it's nice to see progress though.

Comment

This colour scheme needs to die. I use light on dark for a reason; please give us an option.

Comment

Since there's no way people will reach a consensus, could we please have an option to choose a colour scheme? For me, it's not like the new one is just "too" bright: it's frigging black on white, which strains my eyes after a little while.

Comment

+ full width
                      + finally something for "premium cititzens" ? That might make me consider subscribing again...
                      + theme seems okay, though white might need more energy on a screen. Still, black on white is like a classic paper book, just that the white is glowing from itself now (while a book just reflects light from the outside). We'll see.
                      + something done about spam
                      + something done about the 1 minute limit

Sounds fair to me. Thx.
                      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                      X