Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mac v Windows v Ubuntu 10.04 Benchmarks - do you turn off compiz ? Also arch results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac v Windows v Ubuntu 10.04 Benchmarks - do you turn off compiz ? Also arch results

Hi.

There is 1 important thing I would like to know regarding the benchmarks.

When you run the 3D tests did you disable compiz?

I ask because on my machine it reduces in game FPS by about 30-40%

Also, seeing as in past tests Arch linux was about 10-20% faster in some of your bechmarks would that not have equalled Windows 7 in some of the tests ?

I did post this in the thread but had no direct response.

Then you'd have to disable Aero on 7 and whatever-it's-called on OS X too

Comment

Well this is sort of the point.

As far as i'm aware (correct me if I am wrong) in Winblows7 Aero is automatically disabled when running full screen 3D.

If that is the case then a re-test with compiz disabled would be more fair (that is if compiz wasn't disabled in the 1st place) (the results would be more similar)

I create a script that I load when playing a game that disabled compiz (and get roughly 30-40% more fps)

This is what Linux lacks - There needs to be a way of automatically disabling compiz when running 3d games (whats the point of running compiz when you can't see it?) - there is a brainstorm idea here

In my experience every game that co-exists for linux and windows is faster in linux on Nvidia hardware - i.e etqw, et, savage, prey, nexuiz, openarea - i always disable compiz. Not only more fps but more responsive also (bfs kernel makes this more so)

Comment

Each OS was left with their default settings. Ubuntu enables Compiz by default when running the NVIDIA driver.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post
          This is what Linux lacks - There needs to be a way of automatically disabling compiz when running 3d games (whats the point of running compiz when you can't see it?) - there is a brainstorm idea here
          Not really, KDE 4 Compositor is automatically disabled as well when running 3d games fullscreen. This is a Gnome/Compiz issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Each OS was left with their default settings. Ubuntu enables Compiz by default when running the NVIDIA driver.
            Then it seems a compiz slowed Ubuntu down in graphics

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Not really, KDE 4 Compositor is automatically disabled as well when running 3d games fullscreen. This is a Gnome/Compiz issue.
              Maybe it should in theory. When I have kwin effects enabled I have about half FPS less in games. Kubuntu 10.04.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Maybe it should in theory. When I have kwin effects enabled I have about half FPS less in games. Kubuntu 10.04.
                Works here every time using the nvidia blobs.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Works here every time using the nvidia blobs.
                  So it doesn't work with OSS Radeon driver.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    So it doesn't work with OSS Radeon driver.
                    That's not surprising.

Comment

Working...
                    X