Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tour Of The Phoronix Office

Phoronix: A Tour Of The Phoronix Office

There's a surprising number of people curious about what the Phoronix office looks like from where hardware is tested and the Phoronix Test Suite developed, so here are a few humble photographs from last month that display this area.To the left is my main work area while on the right are two of the hardware testing bays.The Samsung SyncMaster 305T 30-inch display works quite well for display driver and graphics card testing with its 2560 x 1600 native resolution and dual-link DVI connection. There are Razer mice at each system.This is where most of my work takes place with the main system running an Intel quad-core processor and Ubuntu 9.10 on the desktop.Now we get into the storage area for recent Phoronix testing hardware.One of the light tents used for photography.Well, that's a brief look at things...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great! Thanks, really interesting.
    I think I can handle the windows, they're pretty large, I hope you're living on the first floor or so? Also is your crew off on Sundays?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Also is your crew off on Sundays?
      Heh, I don't think Michael ever takes a day off.

Comment

Is it bad that I recognize just about every piece of hardware from the reviews here, even the boxed motherboards?
        (except for the apple stuff, ugh...)

Nice, open and clean working space, too much daylight for me though, don't know how you can work sitting by the windows like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadako View Post
          Is it bad that I recognize just about every piece of hardware from the reviews here, even the boxed motherboards?
          (except for the apple stuff, ugh...)

Nice, open and clean working space, too much daylight for me though, don't know how you can work sitting by the windows like that.
          The photos was probably not taken during office hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadako View Post
            good lighting is nice sometimes. can help keep a busy man sane.

what i couldn't handle however, is a super glossy monitor in that kind of lighting. that's gotta be torture.....i'd steal the 30" samsung from the test bay if it were me

Comment

This may sound crazy, but the apartment looks Chicago-ish. I'm trying to guess if it is more of a city apt or a suburb apt (oak park-ish), or if I'm completely wrong.

Comment

That's quite the case sitting on the floor there. And I thought mine was big.

Comment

You can clearly see Michael's disdain for Windows. They haven't been cleaned in weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by zappa86 View Post
                    This may sound crazy, but the apartment looks Chicago-ish. I'm trying to guess if it is more of a city apt or a suburb apt (oak park-ish), or if I'm completely wrong.
                    I believe you're right. I think I've caught references in the past that Michael is from Chicagoland.

Comment

Working...
                    X