Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve's Linux Contributions, Wayland & Open-Source NVIDIA Milestones Topped 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Linux Contributions, Wayland & Open-Source NVIDIA Milestones Topped 2023

Phoronix: Valve's Linux Contributions, Wayland & Open-Source NVIDIA Milestones Topped 2023

After looking yesterday at the most popular Linux hardware reviews of 2023, here is a look at the most popular open-source/Linux news of the more than 2,780 original news articles authored on Phoronix this calendar year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good lord, 2,780 original articles? You are a magnificent machine of Linux knowledge Michael

Comment

And all of AMD efforts were so little that didnt even register.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
        And all of AMD efforts were so little that didnt even register.
        AMD is open source king, so they don't even need things to register.

Comment

Now on kernel 6.6.8 using the Nvidia 545.29.02 driver, Slackware current ;-)

Gaming as usual but also upgraded my sound front end with a Solid State Logic SiX and SSL2. Analog goodness with no electrolytic capacitors, great channel strips preamps, eq, simple compressors and a really high end master bus compressor. Had to throw in some Adam Audio T5V's as well. Hopefully with any luck I'll get some nice tracks produced sometime down the road. I may eventually go with a SSL12 to do some summing but I am holding off for other people to try those units and have some online reports how they are working cause my SiX could be taken greater advantage of with the SSL12.
          Last edited by creative; 01 January 2024, 03:40 AM.

Comment

"Linux 6.6 To Better Protect Against The Illicit Behavior Of NVIDIA's Proprietary Driver.", was silly and didn't really mean anything, My system is proof of it, I also saw 6.6.6 roll through, it came and went like a trivial cow fart in the breeze from ten miles away.

Nvidia's support for GNU Linux has been underrated and underappreciated, AMD GPU support for GNU LINUX is overstated and overrated. OBTW the Steamdecks custom GPU is not to be confused with discrete GPU's on the market for desktop's. That's Valves custom GPU AMD made for that device and has VIP support that Desktop AMD GPU's will never get concerning the continuity of how well the Steamdeck is supported and looked after.

Steam Deck Custom AMD GPU Support > AMD Desktop GPU support, by a large margin. Fact, has an entire OS dedicated to the handheld unit alone.
            Last edited by creative; 01 January 2024, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
              "Linux 6.6 To Better Protect Against The Illicit Behavior Of NVIDIA's Proprietary Driver.", was silly and didn't really mean anything, My system is proof of it, I also saw 6.6.6 roll through, it came and went like a trivial cow fart in the breeze from ten miles away.

Nvidia's support for GNU Linux has been underrated and underappreciated, AMD GPU support for GNU LINUX is overstated and overrated. OBTW the Steamdecks custom GPU is not to be confused with discrete GPU's on the market for desktop's. That's Valves custom GPU AMD made for that device and has VIP support that Desktop AMD GPU's will never get concerning the continuity of how well the Steamdeck is supported and looked after.

Steam Deck Custom AMD GPU Support > AMD Desktop GPU support, by a large margin. Fact, has an entire OS dedicated to the handheld unit alone.
              steam deck don't have gpu support from amd, valve develop their own drivers, and the drivers is made to work on everything like radv, you need to downplay other so much to make nvidia look reasonable lmao don't need to be shy just say you like to lick nvidia boots

Comment

Working...
              X