No announcement yet.

Server Upgrades In Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a noticeable performance improvement when accessing from Australia too

Comment

Now needs migrate the garbage vBulletin 5 to Xenforo.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

this forum is vbb, right? where is ipb being used?
        You're right - I was stupid that day, sorry. Indeed it's vBulletin and XenForo runs circles around it.

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

PHP sucks in general
        XenForo is freaking amazing. It's the best forum software I've ever used and it's a lot better than Discourse (not PHP) which has become popular recently.

Comment

A painfree migration is always worth a beer - so cheers! ^^

Comment

Well done for getting through the upgrade. Always an anxiety-inducing process, even after extensive planning and testing. It's the unknown unknowns that get you in the end.

While the upgrade was in progress, there was period during which I got an error message attempting to access Phoronix: it would tell me my account was suspended and that I needed to contact billing. (I didn't take a screenshot, sorry). Was this expected?

I would suggest that if this was expected, I would look to see if that could be avoided, as it might cause unnecessary worry and extra work for you. A simple "An upgrade is in progress, please try back later." might be a better message.
            Last edited by Old Grouch; 04 December 2023, 04:37 AM. Reason: Korrekt sum tie-po-grafikal erors·

Comment

The site code is still not that optimized. Just by running it through htmltidy shrinks the html file by around 11-12%.. Pagespeed Insights gives a score of 30/100 for the performance. Pretty weak tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                The site code is still not that optimized. Just by running it through htmltidy shrinks the html file by around 11-12%.. Pagespeed Insights gives a score of 30/100 for the performance. Pretty weak tbh.
                Often, the question is not, "Can it be improved?", but "Is it good enough?". Think of Minimum Viable Product. There can be situations (I'm not saying this is one of them) where unoptimised HTML is easier to maintain, also.

Michael might also have more pressing things to deal with, and it is a case of prioritising.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Should be on new server now...
                  My end: 500/500 FiOS in NY; Asus RT-AX86U-Pro to an OpnSense VM (that serves my "inner sanctum"). Surfing on an AMD 5700G running the VM on Linux Mint 21.2, directly connected to the VM. Article load from the main page is now *instant* (as in, page is up before I'm even done clicking on the headline) using Vivaldi (FF a little slower, ungoogled-Chromium a little faster). Forum page loads still take about 1/4 to 1/2 sec (I'm not complaining). So, overall my opinion (that nobody would ask for) is great job with the upgrade, should be good for several years.

But, a couple q's, e.g., Thanks for not capitulating to RHEL, but why Alma over Rocky over anything else? I run a Rocky server at home that, since Rocky released, has been as happy as a pig in slop. And, single-hosted, or some backup server elsewhere (yesterday, at the peak of the change-over I was getting "Account Suspend" errors)?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post

Often, the question is not, "Can it be improved?", but "Is it good enough?". Think of Minimum Viable Product. There can be situations (I'm not saying this is one of them) where unoptimised HTML is easier to maintain, also.

Michael might also have more pressing things to deal with, and it is a case of prioritising.
                    Sure. I can agree with that. It's just that this site is pretty much obsessed with benchmarks and high performance software. It would be shameful to use inefficient forum software.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post

i would be nice to hear about the future of the forum software, being able to replace likes with emoji voting like telegram, github, and most modern forum software will be very entertaining. hopefully that will come with performance improvements as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X