No announcement yet.

Phoronix Turns 18 Years Old For Covering Linux Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Michael for your continued hard work, and I personnally enjoy that more and more articles end up with your personnal insights or conclusions. The experience you have gathered during those 18 years is priceless.

Cheers!

Comment

Thx to the only known resource for Linux performance tests in the known universe. I especially like that you cover a wide range of use cases from professional to gaming. Even on cloud machines. You really deserve my premium membership.

Regarding monetarisation: I know from other websites that it works to host own sponsorship banners and sell them/serve the content more or less statically. No third party url no cookies. The content must be like any other resources from your page. And off course it should be non annoying, no flashin colours, no sound etc. This kind of adds usually getting high acceptance rates. Downside, is that you have to sell your bannerspaces yourself.

Comment

If I recall back then, Phoronix used to focus a little more on tech support (because there were so few Linux sites back then). I always remember Michael helping me get those sodding fglrx drivers working with Fedora Core 3 and my ATI mobility Radeon 9700!

I also remember accidentally insulting another forum member trying to help me called Firewing by misspelling his name Zerowing because that was the guy who did the id Software Linux port releases at the time and I was so used to his name in the docs. So I guess that makes me the original Phoronix troll
        Last edited by kpedersen; 06 June 2022, 05:51 AM.

Comment

It's a good opportunity for those on the fence to finally subscribe for Phoronix Premium

Comment

Thanks Michael for the hard work. You are the ONLY person who covers obscure OSes like OpenBSD and the rest of the *BSDs. I've been following this website since I was using Debian 7 in college. Thanks for all the hard work. I'm going to re-up for another year to keep the *BSD content coming along with the Linux work!

EDIT: Just sent my 25 dollars in!
            Last edited by kylew77; 06 June 2022, 10:20 AM.

Comment

A belated Happy Birthday to Phoronix, and congratulations and thanks to Michael for the work he does!

Comment

Hi Michael,

best wishes for the 18th birthday of phoronix and thanks for your work and passion!

I am on Linux since about 1998 starting with Suse Linux 5.0, when I remember correctly. I discovered phoronix about 4 years ago - sadly I did not know about this gem of a website earlier.

If you want to have better income from ads and donations or premium members, I guess you must make that as convenient as possible.
                You should consider to bring a footer or header on every article, that gives an easy "one click solution" to give a donation or become premium member. And perhaps also tell the people to turn off the adblocker. That should be shown for every non-premium member.

I think raising attention is important, because most of the people will just not think over it otherwise. That may be a bit frustrating, as it also shows that at least some people do not realize how much work you do - but that is how the humans are.

So try to get more attention on it, without getting annoying and perhaps that helps.
                I do not want to call it microtransactions, but it is what may help. Giving a small amount of money for an article, the author had lots of work with.
                Perhaps it makes only sense in bigger articles or some of your performance comparisions. But maybe it is worth a try!
                But it is really important, that it is convenient and easy to do.

Best regards from Germany!

obri

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post
                  If you want to have better income from ads and donations or premium members, I guess you must make that as convenient as possible.
                  You should consider to bring a footer or header on every article, that gives an easy "one click solution" to give a donation or become premium member. And perhaps also tell the people to turn off the adblocker. That should be shown for every non-premium member.
                  I agree 100%. Also, the js scripts related to ad-blocker notice can be defined with "async" and "defer", creating no penalization on your PageSpeed score.

Comment

Maybe https://ethicalads.io would be useful for Phoronix, esp if most people use adblockers? As they are considered Acceptable Ads" this might help the revenue over time.

Of course, Phoronix might already use it, I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                    X