How do I disable long month name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I disable long month name?

It appears that as of today the date format has been changed to display the month name, perhaps to be more consistent with the website style.
    However, I do not need month names to be visible (the older format (MM-DD-YYYY) was fine). I know what month it is and what is its name.

Is there any way to set this? There's no option in the User Settings to change that.

I am sorry to say I am in the camp I am happy to see the month name. I am in Australia default here is DD-MM-YYYY (DMY) please note that is not strange.

The reality majority of the world population uses DMY. Next by population usage YMD Yes it mandated 4 digit year YYYY-MM-DD.
    There are 10 countries that cannot make up mind between DMY and MDY this lead to some mega screw up dealing with them. Finally you have the USA that techically is MDY and YMD but most USA people mandate the MDY as numbers that is in fact problematic.

Sorry to say MM-DD-YYYY is is used by a small percentage of the earths population but it has caused some major screw ups over the years. Interpenetration error free your choices are DD -Month as text- YYYY, -Month as text- DD YYYY or YYYY-MM-DD.

I am sorry to say the old option tildearrow was problematic dominate number of people on earth would read it wrong. These kind of a problem when you are technically in the minority is very simple as the minority to be pushing for something that is not workable.

Avoiding having to dynamically generate dates for each users own settings allows the site to be cached better. So you really do need to pick from 1 of the 3 that everyone will read right and unfortunate is that two of those have the month as text .

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      I am sorry to say I am in the camp I am happy to see the month name.
      I am sorry to say you don't get to choose for us. I do not follow the "we adapt" model.

I am in Australia
      I never knew plus I actually thought you were in Southeast Asia or West Asia

default here is DD-MM-YYYY (DMY) please note that is not strange.
      I note that very well because we use the same format here (and most of the world does) however I use YYYY-MM-DD to follow ISO 8601 standard furthermore it is easier for a computer to sort but personally I do not care about here except this time.

The reality majority of the world population uses DMY. Next by population usage YMD Yes it mandated 4 digit year YYYY-MM-DD.
      There are 10 countries that cannot make up mind between DMY and MDY this lead to some mega screw up dealing with them. Finally you have the USA that techically is MDY and YMD but most USA people mandate the MDY as numbers that is in fact problematic.
      The reality I already know this.

Sorry to say MM-DD-YYYY is is used by a small percentage of the earths population but it has caused some major screw ups over the years. Interpenetration error free your choices are DD -Month as text- YYYY, -Month as text- DD YYYY or YYYY-MM-DD.
      Sorry to say but Phoronix is US-based like it or not you do not own Phoronix.

Avoiding having to dynamically generate dates for each users own settings allows the site to be cached better. So-
      Stop.

You do not own the forum neither do I. This is merely a suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Sorry to say but Phoronix is US-based like it or not you do not own Phoronix.
        But the userbase is international. Now if Phoronix user base was USA only doing a MM-DD-YYYY would not percentage of the user base headaches.

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        You do not own the forum neither do I. This is merely a suggestion.
        You will find if you check with the owner he has got a few suggestions to use text based month to avoid confusions as suggestions. The was request a while back to make it per user setting as well that was turned down due to ruining caching.

I know I do not own Phoronix but I have been around long enough to see arguement play out a few times. There are basically 3 choices that will not large number complaining from the user base. Unfortunately in this case what you asking has had historic complaints about.

My suggestion from my point of view to this is either leave it alone and learn to get along with it or change to one of the other 2 out of the 3.

tildearrow if you step back and think this is a international user-base does your suggestion hold up. From my point of view it does not. The per user setting was turned down a long time ago. I am not sure if you were editor at that point.

Comment

I would love some ISO 8601 love.

Can't stand 12h time format, or weird order of date components.

Comment

Date should be DD-MM-YYYY

Comment

Working...
            X