Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veerappan
    replied
    I'm a bit late to the party Michael , but congratulations. Hope your wife and the kid are both doing well, and we understand if the pace/makeup of articles changes.

Kids change lots of things, but that might just mean a few middle-of-the-night articles get brainstormed or benchmark runs kicked off while using the whitenoise of a server room to lull the kid off to sleep.

Just remember to enjoy them... when you're not yelling at them

Leave a comment:

• Ilphrin
    replied
    A lot of awesome benchmarking to come! =D

Congratulations for this new baby!

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Beautiful early Christmas for the Larabels!

Let's all start the shower. :- )
    Last edited by microcode; 11 November 2019, 01:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lsatenstein
    replied
    Congratulations to the the wife and you. Was it a boy? Wish you all the very best. Good health and sleeping according to a new routine.

Leave a comment:

• clavko
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Actually I argue with my wife that Phoronix is still first most important (or tied)... As without continuing to battle each and every day, then I cannot provide for my family.
    Actually, family is the most important thing. Failure to recognize this will result in a failure in personal life. Which will extend it's destructive forces to all facets of one's existence - and that may very well include Phoronix. You see - you can provide for your family in a million ways, which may or may not necessarily include Phoronix (i.e. jobs and careers are replaceable) - but family is not replaceable nor interchangeable. Hope you won't have to learn this the hard way. Also, a career can become a great excuse for not hanging with the family. But the time on this world is limited - use it with great caution.

Leave a comment:

• willbprog177
    replied
    Congratulations to you, your wife and the new little one Michael! Enjoy this time God bless your family!

Leave a comment:

• betam4x
    replied
    You should benchmark Arch, Ubuntu 19.10, and Windows 10 in a shoot off for gaming and production workloads. Interestingly enough, out of everything I used on my Threadripper 1950X, I get the absolute best performance on Arch Linux. Gaming (especially 1% and 0.1% mins) on my 1080ti is absolutely fantastic. Glad I was finally able to leave windows behind. I have a catalog of over 800 games and very few don't work. There are a couple that require tweaks (duckgame requires protontricks for example), but overall, Valve is knocking it out of the park even for Windows games. I also game at 4K, and have had no issues whatsoever with the graphics maxed out in 99% of games (the only real exceptions being indy games like 7 Days to Die. I have to turn the resolution down to 1440p for some odd reason. At 1440p 60-100fps, at 4k ~10fps.)

Does anyone know of any tools on Linux that can measure average/1%/0.1% frame times on Linux (NVIDIA)?

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    By the way, even though your site is famous for benchmarking, many of us come for the articles. (Sounds like a Playboy reader) You do really good coverage of kernel updates, driver updates and general development news that is hard to find anywhere else. If the content balance shifts a bit in this direction I’m certain many of us wouldn’t care. We would still want to see some testing of course but we don’t need a new set of benchmarks everyday.

I mention this thinking benchmarking takes a lot more time than the technical and news articles. The kernel coverage you do is a perfect example of what I find hard to find on the net this why I come here. You seem to have a knack for pulling out the most important details for each release (most of the time).

I just mention this because you will likely be surprised by how much of your time goes to Other Things now.
    Unfortunately my kernel coverage (as often gets pointed out to me, other sites doing kernel lists of changes / overviews after mine often copy over any product model misspellings that I occasionally have in mine, etc) and other content (particularly on new AMD and Intel graphics driver features) is often replicated and taken the interesting bits without sourcing to other sites, so the site wouldn't solely be sustained on that sort of news due to being short one page viewing and other sites often covering the story after Phoronix.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    Congratulations. This will be a big turning point in your life. Suddenly Phoronix will be the second most important thing you do. Best wishes!!!!!
    Actually I argue with my wife that Phoronix is still first most important (or tied)... As without continuing to battle each and every day, then I cannot provide for my family.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    By the way, even though your site is famous for benchmarking, many of us come for the articles. (Sounds like a Playboy reader) You do really good coverage of kernel updates, driver updates and general development news that is hard to find anywhere else. If the content balance shifts a bit in this direction I’m certain many of us wouldn’t care. We would still want to see some testing of course but we don’t need a new set of benchmarks everyday.

I mention this thinking benchmarking takes a lot more time than the technical and news articles. The kernel coverage you do is a perfect example of what I find hard to find on the net this why I come here. You seem to have a knack for pulling out the most important details for each release (most of the time).

I just mention this because you will likely be surprised by how much of your time goes to Other Things now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X