PTS 1.0.3: pb with bonnie++

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTS 1.0.3: pb with bonnie++

While running the bonnie++ benchmark in a univers-cli session, each of 3 bonnie tests abort with this type of error:
    Code:
    File size should be double RAM for good results, RAM is 7984M.
    PHP Notice:  Undefined offset:  2 in /usr/share/phoronix-test-suite/pts/test-resources/bonnie/parse-results.php on line 13
    Then
    Code:
    PHP Notice:  Undefined offset:  10 in /usr/share/phoronix-test-suite/pts/test-resources/bonnie/parse-results.php on line 25
    And finally, last execution:
    Code:
    PHP Notice:  Undefined offset:  12 in /usr/share/phoronix-test-suite/pts/test-resources/bonnie/parse-results.php on line 28
    I don't know if I'm supposed to fill a bugreport (and where in that case).

Hmm it looks like Bonnie++ isn't running the test and hence the PHP problems. It's been running fine in all my tests. Is anyone else having problems?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Mmmm, I checked the test is correctly installed, and he is... (with a "force-install" no compilation error, neither during the configure step)

Error occurs even when doing a single "phoronix-test-suite run bonnie".

Additionnaly, just to mention that the bonnie test complains when running PTS as root:
      Code:
      You must use the "-u" switch when running as root.
      Had to create a user and "reinstall" tests just for him (probably better, btw )

--
      edit: running PTS as non-root user is problematic, as for example the php-build test can't find xml2-config which is not in a normal user path.
      Last edited by elgoretto; 16 July 2008, 08:44 AM.

Comment

how I got bonnie++ to work

I first had the error as a non-root user that it couldn't find ./bonnie_/sbin/bonnie++.

Then I got the error as root that you have use a -u.

Then I created that directory and copied bonnie++ to it.

Then I got the error that the file needed to be twice the size of the ram, which my ram is 2048. To fix this, I editted the file
        /.phoronix-test-suite/installed-tests/bonnie/bonnie and changed the -s 2048 to -s 4096.

The test is currently running.

Ok, it takes forever using a 4gb test file, so I added a -r 1024 (ram size 1024), so it uses the 2048 size test file and all is good. Maybe that should be the default setting for the bonnie++ script for everyone in a future release?
        Last edited by skeetre; 18 July 2008, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeetre View Post
          Ok, it takes forever using a 4gb test file, so I added a -r 1024 (ram size 1024), so it uses the 2048 size test file and all is good. Maybe that should be the default setting for the bonnie++ script for everyone in a future release?
          The problem is that there is a reason for this file to be 2xRAM size... If not, the test results would eventually be biased by the cache.
          Or I don't understand the "-r" option meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by elgoretto View Post
            The problem is that there is a reason for this file to be 2xRAM size... If not, the test results would eventually be biased by the cache.
            Or I don't understand the "-r" option meaning.
            The phoronix script tells bonnie to use a 2gb test file, and at least for me, it won't run the benchmark unless I change the script to either use a 4gb test file, or tell it that there's only 1gb of ram. I figure using the same size test file would be more accurate than using a 4gb test file. It's measuring harddrive performance, so the cache shouldn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by skeetre View Post
              The phoronix script tells bonnie to use a 2gb test file, and at least for me, it won't run the benchmark unless I change the script to either use a 4gb test file, or tell it that there's only 1gb of ram. I figure using the same size test file would be more accurate than using a 4gb test file. It's measuring harddrive performance, so the cache shouldn't matter.
              I think the idea is to use more than the amount of ram you have. Because if you don't then your pc will just use the ram to cache the file and so the results will be biased. On our new 128GB servers we have to bench with a 256GB file and there are no partitions big enough in the raid 6 which is kind of a problem. But in this case i'm sure you have 2gb of spare space.

Comment

Working...
              X