Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autonomously Finding Performance Regressions In The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Autonomously Finding Performance Regressions In The Linux Kernel

Last weekend a few Phoronix benchmarks were underway of the Linux 2.6.32-rc5 kernel when a very significant performance regression was spotted. This regression caused the PostgreSQL server to run at about 18% of the performance found in earlier kernel releases. Long story short, in tracking down this performance regression we have finally devised a way to autonomously locate performance regressions within the Linux kernel and potentially any Git-based project for that matter. Here are a few details.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice, PTS is getting better and better!

Comment

Amazing.
      That this thing could actually be used to do something *useful*

Comment

Terrific idea!

Comment

rc-5 was a dog. caused some nice fs-corruption on my /

Comment

So this would be completely automatic? Meaning you could go out to lunch and not be anywhere near the machine while PTS tracks down the regression?

Originally posted by rehabdoll View Post
            rc-5 was a dog. caused some nice fs-corruption on my /
            Seemed to happen to me in rc4 as well. I use Gentoo, and I booted up one day and my /etc/profile.env got all messed up somehow. After fixing that from a livecd, I booted up again and ended up with a hole bunch of corruption, and lost a bunch of files. Pidgin preferences, /etc/portage/package.use, some KDE configuration stuff, etc. Oh and I lost my world file, so Portage forgot all the packages I had installed.
            Last edited by pvtcupcakes; 22 October 2009, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
              So this would be completely automatic? Meaning you could go out to lunch and not be anywhere near the machine while PTS tracks down the regression?
              Yes, that is how it works in PTS Bardu 2.2.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Wait, this means that if I want to have consistent data on ext4 I must look at 5x slower PostgreSQL and other write-intensive applications? And proposed solution is either obscure mount switch with possibility of occasional file corruption or really _slow_ PostgreSQL. WTF?
                Last edited by mirza; 22 October 2009, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Wow, just wow.

I'm no programmer, but this is an amazing piece of work. I can see this being an invaluable tool.

Comment

Originally posted by mirza View Post
                    Wait, this means that if I want to have consistent data on ext4 I must look at 5x slower PostgreSQL and other write-intensive applications? And proposed solution is either obscure kernel switch with possibility of occasional file corruption or really _slow_ PostgreSQL. WTF?
                    I was thinking the same thing. I think I'll stick with Ext3 for now
                    (I have had Ext4 corruption before, so I simply don't trust the fs).

Comment

Working...
                    X