The Open Benchmarks So Far Available For Windows 10 / Windows Server 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Open Benchmarks So Far Available For Windows 10 / Windows Server 2016

Phoronix: The Open Benchmarks So Far Available For Windows 10 / Windows Server 2016

There are several dozen test profiles so far available for the new/rewritten Phoronix Test Suite port to Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for the update. I tried to run a PTS A+B compare with Windows and Linux on mini-PC hardware with your new release in Git and and most of the tests were missing.

I will try again with your updated list.

I noticed a large reliance on Cygwin for your interpreter. Is there any difference (that you have seen) between Cygwin and the WSL offering?

Maybe it was me but many of the Cygwin download sites (which you don't control) were pretty dang slow. I was better off locating and installing Cygwin separately before installing PTS.

I am trying to collect data on the premise that Linux generates less heat (and less power) than Windows when processing the same load.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
      Thanks for the update. I tried to run a PTS A+B compare with Windows and Linux on mini-PC hardware with your new release in Git and and most of the tests were missing.

I will try again with your updated list.

I noticed a large reliance on Cygwin for your interpreter. Is there any difference (that you have seen) between Cygwin and the WSL offering?

Maybe it was me but many of the Cygwin download sites (which you don't control) were pretty dang slow. I was better off locating and installing Cygwin separately before installing PTS.

I am trying to collect data on the premise that Linux generates less heat (and less power) than Windows when processing the same load.
      To be clear: while many of the test profiles on Windows are using Cygwin, almost all of them are using it just for bash interpreter and other common commands like unzip... Mostly in allowing for having a unified language for writing test profiles and being more comfortable with bash scripts than Batch files or PowerShell. But PTS does support using batch files on Windows if desired or there is also PTS' own PhoroScript as a very simple bash interpreter.

Anyways, those tests are basically using Cygwin for the test installation/setup and then just calling the respective native Windows binary, to which Cygwin shouldn't have any overhead on its performance, etc.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

To be clear: while many of the test profiles on Windows are using Cygwin, almost all of them are using it just for bash interpreter and other common commands like unzip... Mostly in allowing for having a unified language for writing test profiles and being more comfortable with bash scripts than Batch files or PowerShell. But PTS does support using batch files on Windows if desired or there is also PTS' own PhoroScript as a very simple bash interpreter.

Anyways, those tests are basically using Cygwin for the test installation/setup and then just calling the respective native Windows binary, to which Cygwin shouldn't have any overhead on its performance, etc.
        Thank you. Good clarification.

Comment

Great job Michael !

I also see you managed to integrate supertuxkart, nice done!

Comment

Originally posted by Eliasvan View Post
            Great job Michael !

I also see you managed to integrate supertuxkart, nice done!
            Actually STK is still giving me problems :/ Even though PTS can inherently use Batch scripts natively if ending the filename in .bat or the file first line is echo off, I keep running into issues when trying to modify STK test profile... I think it's something funky going on about the installer package.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
            X