Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.15-rc3 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 4.15-rc3 Kernel Released

Linus Torvalds has announced the third weekly test release of the upcoming Linux 4.15 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Installed 4.15-rc2 yesterday and it works like a charm. Finally some decent graphics performance in comparison to the AMDGPU-PRO driver (5fps versus 70fps in Rust) for the Vega 56.

Comment

Michael, can you do a quick bench with just one Polaris card on Ubuntu 17.10 and kernels 4.13/14/15? Looks like there is a performance regression starting with 4.14 and I'm worried it will go into Ubuntu 18.04 LTS if not fixed in time.

EDIT: Michael, there is a bug report for a regretion in recent kernels:

Last edited by M@GOid; 11 December 2017, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I installed 4.15-rc3 and in Deux Ex there is a drop from 36 to 30 FPS on the benchmark, compared to the stock 4.13 kernel. Shadow of Mordor only dropped 1 FPS thought.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          I installed 4.15-rc3 and in Deux Ex there is a drop from 36 to 30 FPS on the benchmark, compared to the stock 4.13 kernel. Shadow of Mordor only dropped 1 FPS thought.
          What mesa version are you running?

Comment

4.14 and 4.15 kernels cause a system hang with my RX 480, tried in two different systems. Dying Light and Deus ex seems to bring it up usually within an hour of play time. Screen will flash a pastel color and have to hard reset. 4.13 is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SebastianP View Post

What mesa version are you running?
              Is Git from Padoka's PPA, updated last week, the same Michael did the last benchmark. If you look at the bug report link, the guy who reported it did some benchmarks with Phoronix's PTS. The majority of the benchs only showed marginal losses, but some games regressed harder, lake the example I gave above.

Comment

Haven't played any games yet as mostly doing battlegrounds under windows but installed rc3 yesterday from Ubuntu on Debian.
                HDMI audio sweet with boot line added.
                Just got this rx580.
                Bummer about regressions but so nice that is close to plug and play.

Comment

Maybe this fix today is related to the performance regression?

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...6c8d7beb02ba89

Comment

Working...
                  X