Ubuntu Developer Gets Mir Running On Fedora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trivialfis
    I use Fedora myself, but it's nice to see Ubuntu choosing Gnome over other options if Canonical plan to help improving Gnome.
    No, it's nice to see Ubuntu backing projects like Mir to let the user choose their desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by rockworldmi View Post
      Or use Lumina
      Lumia is very sketchy on linux. Make full backups before installing, it CAN render your system unbootable.

Comment

Originally posted by trivialfis
        I use Fedora myself, but it's nice to see Ubuntu choosing Gnome over other options if Canonical plan to help improving Gnome.
        Not sure how successful Canonical/Ubuntu can be at improving Gnome considering the Gnome devs are still there and are intentionally making it worse with each new release. They probably should have switched to Cinnamon instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
          It has Qt and KDE dependencies and is therefore not suited for other distributions.
          "other distributions" like what?
          It runs fine as MATE compositor already, or also with XFCE. And it isn't hard to set up for users, so go figure how easy it is to integrate for distro maintainers.

People are using it to replace Compiz there.

KWin in MATE If you've read any of my reviews over the last several months, you'll know that I've bemoaned the effective death of Compi...

thelinuxrain.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, thelinuxrain.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
            Lumia is very sketchy on linux. Make full backups before installing, it CAN render your system unbootable.
            By "unbootable" you mean that it boots to black screen while Ctrl+Alt+F5 switches to a console terminal as normal? (And with Ctrl+Alt+F7 or F6 you get back to the black screen from Lumina)

Because I have a hard time believing Lumina can seriously screw with the bootloader or kernel.

Comment

So what does Mir/Wayland bring to the table? Right now vanilla Wayland under Fedora 26 is still not a viable alternative to X11. The features that I'm missing are screen sharing/screen recording, global hotkeys, and global gamma/RGB(SDL games, Redshift). Does Mir fix any of this?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                By "unbootable" you mean that it boots to black screen while Ctrl+Alt+F5 switches to a console terminal as normal? (And with Ctrl+Alt+F7 or F6 you get back to the black screen from Lumina)

Because I have a hard time believing Lumina can seriously screw with the bootloader or kernel.
                Black screen, alt1-6 give rapidly flickering video output and does not pick up most keypresses, making logging in to perform any task nigh impossible, and even after that, its impossible to perform any task in any realistic timeframe. Same result on Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, and OpenSUSE.

Comment

Working...
                X