macOS' APFS File-System Performing Much Better Than The Dated HFS+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
    Apple could go down fast. All it would take is one Mexican telecom billionaire to buyout Canonical and start making Linux tablets and phones. A light-up penguin on the back is worth and easy extra US$200. And you techno geeks know you'd pay it too, so don't boolshiat me.

Reality is the post-American world doesn't need Apple or Microsoft. Deal with it!
    Apple religion has reached critical mass, its niche is self-sustaining and self-propagating. That's the greatest accomplishment of Steve Jobs.

People buying Apple won't buy non-Apple because it is not Apple.

Comment

now, if you would compare HFS+ vs. APFS on the same macOS version, ... e.g. force install 10.13 High Sierra on HFS+ or simply use the same additional drive where you can easily format freely, ...

In other news: 10.13 is buggy has hell - https://rene.rebe.de/2017-09-25/macos-high-sierra/

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Apple religion has reached critical mass, its niche is self-sustaining and self-propagating. That's the greatest accomplishment of Steve Jobs.

People buying Apple won't buy non-Apple because it is not Apple.
        actually most apple fans I know getting annoyed by iOS and macOS bugs and design inconsistencies. Many are already jumping ship back to Windows or Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
          You mean like Windows still uses NTFS introduced with NT 3.1 in 1993?
          Using a file system as old as that may not be optimal, but it's still way less bad than using one that was originally introduced in 1980.

No, I don't mean the 1980s, mean 1980!

Also, man are the fanboys creeping out of the woodwork and losing their collective minds over Apple being successful. Seems like just letting people use what they want to use is heresy to these people and should by no means be allowed. Then again the way people recently reacted to somebody just giving a presentation using an Macbook (no clear indication as to what OS it was running) I probably shouldn't be the least bit surprised.
          Last edited by L_A_G; 26 September 2017, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darakus View Post
            Most people I know have buying patterns about as complicated as: Ohh, Shiney!
            My little brother and niece have iPhones. You should have seen the latter's face when I asked out of idle curiosity (seeing that thing first time up close) after she had finished a call: "What exact model is this? Looks a bit like weird ugly Samsung.."
            "It's an iPhone....."

Could not SEE single 'shiny' side of a design there...It's front side looked pretty fucking UGLY to me.
            Few weeks later seeing same "ugly-weird Samsung" on my brother's hands I asked to see it.. UI looked nice, though I got lost in menus in less than 5 seconds and gave up after 10.. His was set to Finnish language.. Well, he speaks it, not me. And he seemed pretty indifferent to the make of his phone, only told that getting used to different UI logic was annoying at first. It was a gift. He would have bought just another Galaxy Sx.. Either used or new, as long as it worked..

Comment

Android proved Stallman's point about GNU/Linux. Android is Linux and open source. It also is impossible to upgrade past what your manufacturer and carrier think you need, because there's no package manager other than app stores, which aren't meant for upgrading and patching system-level components, and there aren't really many free apps, because the tools for making Android apps are so huge and complicated.

What could have been is a kernel chosen by the manufacturer and a userland that gets updates according to the wishes of the carrier or the user, with multiple IDEs and text editors and build systems.

Comment

I think the biggest problem for Android concerning open source philosophy is that most ARM products can't boot from a stock upstream kernel. There needs to be some kind of standardized ARM "platform". Fix that so that the upstream kernel can boot "standardized" ARM devices and -then- AOSP will finally become viable. For the most part it's not because only the manufacturers kernel can boot that device. And from an end users perspective it's just as good as proprietary. I think all we really need is something that can actually be booted.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  No, I'm saying that parading their product around is a requirement higher than functionality (which can get away with being subpar).
                  Someone is parading around their laptop? When I used to have a Macbook (from introduction up until a few years ago) I remember simply being satisfied that my computer didn't look like a turd, which the typical PC used to at the time. Nowadays every laptop looks like a Macbook (slim, streamlined, useable). Believe it or not, most people don't care to use a 17", 10kg monster with 30 ports and peripherals connected to each on the bus.

EXT4 is a pig?
                  Yeah, a pig with make-up. I could be nice and say old workhorse though.

EXT4 is being replaced?
                  Yes it is. Oracle & SUSE is pushing BTRFS. Redhat: XFS.

You saw benchmarks?
                  What do you think companies care about? Pure performance or data integrity?

Don't bunch it together with crap like HFS and NTFS when it is clearly not in the same league on performance, features and stability.
                  Oh please. Even the main developer of EXT4 has stated BTRFS is the way forward. EXT4 is a forked version of EXT3 with extensions added. It's old technology that's been somewhat modernized. It's directly comparable to HFS and NTFS which also was improved somewhat from the original state.

Same goes for XFS, also from 93, also not a pig, also not being replaced.
                  It was ported to Linux after Y2K, so the codebase is still somewhat fresh. XFS was widely known for it's good design. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that it was the first to introduce journaling and online resizing to Linux, and it was the only choice if you had a large storage medium.

So yeah, XFS is not a pig and I never said so. EXT4/HFS/NTFS is and they all belong in the same sentence
                  Last edited by arokh; 26 September 2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                    people on Earth have somehow been subjugated by Apple
                    Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Out of curiosity, explain please just how Apple managed to get among top10 most worth companies in the world. While selling "crap" - as you defined it.
                      It's net worth was couple odd billions over 750 back in May 2017.

I am at loss. Either you are SERIOUSLY out of touch with what we fondly call "the reality", people on Earth have somehow been subjugated by Apple or you were just plain wrong - venting your pathetic Linux fanaticism yet again.
                      Propaganda and quite good hardware. However, I'm talking about software here and about macOS especially. Its market share is just about few percent on desktop which is a shame. It's desktop OS since beginning, isn't it? Since you started talking about fanaticism: there are no bigger fanatics than apple boys.

Comment

Working...
                      X