Intel Announces 8th Gen Core CPUs: Claims 40% Boost Over Gen 7, More Cores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Staffan View Post
    So the 8th generation really just a slightly less crippled version of the 7th generation?
    No. There will be proper 8th gen chips, but they'll be put under the same 8xxx moniker as these. Just like AMD sold various generations as HD6xxx or HD7xxx.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

No. There will be proper 8th gen chips, but they'll be put under the same 8xxx moniker as these. Just like AMD sold various generations as HD6xxx or HD7xxx.
      Or even half the *Ridge CPUs being Zen, while the other half being crappy bulldozer.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Or even half the *Ridge CPUs being Zen, while the other half being crappy bulldozer.
        I don't really care too much about rebranding anymore, it's just not that big a deal. Last generations top end could very well be this generations mid end. I just don't see a problem with that. If the dies are still available, then they still need to be sold, and rebranding is one way to make that doable.

And on the other hand, IF BD got a 14nm redesign and they added a third integer unit per pipeline There is no doubt at all in my mind it would annihilate Zen. It's just that BD was crippled with only 2 integer units and then never got past 32nm, and never got a better cache hierarchy. No doubt it's the better architecture though, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I don't really care too much about rebranding anymore, it's just not that big a deal. Last generations top end could very well be this generations mid end. I just don't see a problem with that. If the dies are still available, then they still need to be sold, and rebranding is one way to make that doable.

And on the other hand, IF BD got a 14nm redesign and they added a third integer unit per pipeline There is no doubt at all in my mind it would annihilate Zen. It's just that BD was crippled with only 2 integer units and then never got past 32nm, and never got a better cache hierarchy. No doubt it's the better architecture though, for sure.
          I don't have much of a problem with rebranding (still, why do it instead of using the old names?). What I have a problem with, is mixing various generation under the same moniker in an obvious attempt to confuse the consumer and sell them inferior products. AMD has done that for years and people here gave them a pass because they were working on open source Linux drivers. Intel does it now and gets burnt to the stake.
          Intel's no saint, but let's keep it together, shall we?

Comment

I don't have much of a problem with rebranding (still, why do it instead of using the old names?). What I have a problem with, is mixing various generation under the same moniker in an obvious attempt to confuse the consumer and sell them inferior products. AMD has done that for years and people here gave them a pass because they were working on open source Linux drivers. Intel does it now and gets burnt to the stake.
            Intel's no saint, but let's keep it together, shall we?
            I'm not burning them for it, It's just not that big a deal. And I'm sure the reason they rename the rebranded product is so that the naming conventions align with the current gen. Maybe last gen it was a top end product and this gen it is a mid end product, then you need to update the naming conventions accordingly. It's so that people buying them -aren't- confused.

Comment

I'm not burning them for it, It's just not that big a deal. And I'm sure the reason they rename the rebranded product is so that the naming conventions align with the current gen. Maybe last gen it was a top end product and this gen it is a mid end product, then you need to update the naming conventions accordingly. It's so that people buying them -aren't- confused.
              It would have been much more honest to call these i5-7770U or something. But they don't want to appear like they adding to last year's lineup (which they are).

Comment

It would have been much more honest to call these i5-7770U or something. But they don't want to appear like they adding to last year's lineup (which they are).
                I mean, maybe? If it was me making the decision, I'd still rather get the refresh. You know they must've addressed some errata and design issues. In my opinion it's still worthy of a proper naming convention that reflects it's position in this years lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

IIRC it was originally Cannon Lake, no idea when it got switched to Coffee Lake, both sound cool to me.
                  Cannonlake was said to be after Skylake originally.. then they inserted the Skylake Refresh AKA Kaby Lake in between... then they inserted Coffee Lake between Kaby Lake and Cannonlake but it was going to have some improvements like 6 cores instead of 4... but now they've essentially decided to do Coffee Lake as another Skylake Refresh for mobile, and apparently have delayed for the desktop yet again.

Cannonlake should still be out someday, but maybe they'll decide to do another couple of Skylake refreshes before then.

Skylake is gonna be SO FRESH by the time they're done with it.

I've been pissed at AMD recently for delaying and then insultingly downplaying the GCC issue in Ryzen, said I'd go Coffee Lake but I didn't realize the "real Coffee Lake" would be a while... This mobile "Coffee Lake" is like... McCafe coffee or something.

I'm not really happy with either company so I guess I'll just delay my upgrade. Don't really want to give either company my money right now.
                  Last edited by Holograph; 21 August 2017, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I mean, maybe? If it was me making the decision, I'd still rather get the refresh. You know they must've addressed some errata and design issues. In my opinion it's still worthy of a proper naming convention that reflects it's position in this years lineup.
                    Again (and for the last time): I'm not against differentiation*, but against lumping hardware from different generations under the 8000 series.

*Minor fab improvements may not be even worth differentiating. For example, video cards routinely change capacitors or VRAM during their lifecycle, but they don't get released under a new name because of that. But let's just say the line is blurred about what deserves differentiation and what doesn't and leave it at that.

Comment

40% boost, wow. that should make people happier now

Comment

Working...
                      X