Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Are there Debian packages somewhere?
    Sure, https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kernel-amdgpu-binaries
    (it also lists ppas for ubuntu users)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Sure, https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kernel-amdgpu-binaries
      (it also lists ppas for ubuntu users)
      Thanks. Is that supposed to work in some specific Debian flavor or all? I'm using Debian testing.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Create your own packages. See the second message how to use Debian and Amd open source graphics:
        https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...in-living-room
        Not exactly something I'd rather spend time on, unless there are trust issues with some packages.

Comment

Were there any comments from kernel maintainers about previous sets of patches, and what still prevents them from upstreaming? I mean recent ones, not the earliest attempt which was rejected.
          Torvalds does not like HALs, and has told maintainers to not accept them. Xorg was already given special treatment, and he does not want repeats. Untill such time as they formulate a proper driver setup, it's not getting accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

Torvalds does not like HALs, and has told maintainers to not accept them. Xorg was already given special treatment, and he does not want repeats. Untill such time as they formulate a proper driver setup, it's not getting accepted.
            I am probably misunderstanding what DC is, but isn't it supposed to be an abstraction layer for advanced display configuration? If so then in my eyes that means DC itself was never even an option from conception. Am I wrong?

Comment

That was original communication. Later they said they are working on acceptable form. So I'm asking about updated status. It would be a major mess to always require out of tree kernel for newer cards.

Comment

Thanks. Is that supposed to work in some specific Debian flavor or all? I'm using Debian testing.
                as stated in the repo, that is an Ubuntu kernel.

there should be no issues in running Ubuntu kernels in Debian (I did for a while, some time ago).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  as stated in the repo, that is an Ubuntu kernel.

there should be no issues in running Ubuntu kernels in Debian (I did for a while, some time ago).

I'd rather not do that however. If nothing else, I can end up building it, like debianxfce suggested.

Comment

That was original communication. Later they said they are working on acceptable form. So I'm asking about updated status. It would be a major mess to always require out of tree kernel for newer cards.
                    We will see. If upstream adopts it, then it has been sufficiently adapted to driver form. If they reject it, then they still consider it a HAL. So we just don't know, and won't know until they adopt it.

Comment

We will see. If upstream adopts it, then it has been sufficiently adapted to driver form. If they reject it, then they still consider it a HAL. So we just don't know, and won't know until they adopt it.
                      Well, that's the point. Don't they at least comment "this is still not sufficient because of XYZ", or they just silently reject it?

Comment

Working...
                      X