No announcement yet.

Unreal Tournament Gives Another Excuse To RadeonSI Developers To "Game"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it is merely a git snapshot, so it's not surprising that there may be issues. They should be reported to the UT4 forums. This is pretty important because the fixes go to the engine itself (or, if the issue is already fixed in the upstream engine, the next engine pull will promptly fix the issue).

Comment

"Excuse to game"????

No no no... they are hard at work writing code, compiling and testing... Rinse and repeat until the problem is solved.

But is so painful that the testing is in games.... So painful!

And when the problem is solved, them move to play (I mean, test and fix) another game.

Comment

Originally posted by sp82 View Post
        I'll keep repeating, OpenGL/DX and other old graphics apis should burn and die. Long live Vulkan. I feel the pain of using X and OpenGL stuff for 20years on my eyes. All this stuff is broken by definition. No one get it right. Every developer should forget OpenGL/DX and X protocol right now and concentrate every bit of work in wayland and Vulkan, the right way to implement a graphics stack. Vulkan is much simpler and the experience should be the same on every implementation.
        I just throw away a GTX1080 and ubuntu to run my desktop on a cheap AMD A8 7600 and Fedora just to fill less pain on my eyes. Still gnome wayland compositor is not perfect and I can see some stutter every few seconds. I'm seek of this stuff.
        Care to throw that GTX 1080 my way?

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post

Care to throw that GTX 1080 my way?
          "throw away" is not exactly what I did! but if you put an NVIDIA card on a system it's impossible make wayland works even on the integrated GPU or another AMD gpu installed on the same system. nouveau do not work at all on 1000 series, the result is the monitor go off even if you connect the monitor on the integrated gpu. Nvidia proprietary drivers destroy opensource drivers installed on the system. The only way is not have nvidia gpu on the system or build another system, like I did.

Comment

"throw away" is not exactly what I did!
            Damn, I was already searching trash bins near your home.

Comment

I'll keep repeating, OpenGL/DX and other old graphics apis should burn and die. Long live Vulkan. I feel the pain of using X and OpenGL stuff for 20years on my eyes. All this stuff is broken by definition. No one get it right. Every developer should forget OpenGL/DX and X protocol right now and concentrate every bit of work in wayland and Vulkan, the right way to implement a graphics stack. Vulkan is much simpler and the experience should be the same on every implementation.
              While I agree that Vulkan is *the way to go* for future games, and even Khronos Group seem to push in that direction, there are a few caveat :

On the Linux opensource drivers side :
              - Vulkan is rather recent. We need the opensource drivers to mature a bit : RADV's performance is currently worse than Mesa's OpenGL.
              (though, the guys are making progress fast. Also Vulkan is much closer to the metal, meaning that there should relatively less complexity in the drivers, at least compared to the GL and DX state trackers).

On the game developers side :
              - Vulkan is really low-level, close to the Metal. (it's basically on the same level as the Gallium3d back-ends used by the Mesa stack).
              That means it shifts the burden of complexity to the engine devs. All the complex bits that used to go in a GL state tracker now are directly in the game engine.
              (Though this also means much more opportunity to do optimisations in the game engine itself).
              Means the task of making games running on Vulkan is going to get a bit more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
                But is so painful that the testing is in games.... So painful!
                When it's part of the job, it could get pretty dull. And testing would be not non-stop gaming but painstakingly testing different elements of a game, noting down the results and then trying to fix what went wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X