Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    It seems you missed the point linked to that:
    People interested in a Linux tablet will likely want to install their own favourite distro.

And the fact that GNOME itself supports multitouch gestures (Also kde does) means nothing if most applications themselves aren't designed for touch interfaces in the first place, which is another turndown.

Really, it seems like people here never interacted with Android tablets or something.
    Might I add, convergence has been tried before. And it failed. Because you simply cannot design a desktop app for tablets and vice-versa. What is missing here is an entire ecosystem from the ground up. Or some way to run Android apps, but good luck convincing developers to publish on yet another store.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      In the mean while I picked up an HP x2 210 tablet instead, and it's running Gentoo GNOME pretty well so far. I'm documenting the process here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...st-for-tablets

Cherry Trail really seems like the way to go to me. It's finally in good shape with the latest kernel, and you can run Android x86 and Remix OS on it too, if you want even more touch-friendliness. No need to worry about blobs or custom kernels.
      If you want GNOME to be more touch-friendly when it comes to typing, OnBoard is your friend. I've documented how to properly configure it here: https://github.com/Vistaus/surface3-...linux/issues/5
      And these extensions may also be of use (but I haven't tested them):

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

If you want GNOME to be more touch-friendly when it comes to typing, OnBoard is your friend. I've documented how to properly configure it here: https://github.com/Vistaus/surface3-...linux/issues/5
        And these extensions may also be of use (but I haven't tested them):

https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...-for-keyboard/
        Something to look at in the future, perhaps. One of the nice things of having a tablet with a detachable keyboard is, well, the detachable keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Please state what such systems you have that cost less and are more usable than a random Intel tablet, I'm interested in them too.
          Please re-read my quote. I never said anything about being more usable than Intel platforms, I just specified that are very usable while being cheaper.

I just said that ARM stuff that is more or less in line with Intel's stuff (computing power and mostly-mainline drivers) costs around the same, so your claim that ARM is cheaper is not true in the conditions we are talking about.
          Depends on what you're looking at. Intel's performancerice scales up very differently than ARM, as does their performance:watt. Y'know why Intel largely dropped out of the mobile market? Because they didn't understand realistic priorities - people prefer good battery life with decent performance rather than good performance with crappy battery. They made products too expensive and too power hungry compared to ARM and despite the great software compatibility, nobody wanted them. It isn't common for Intel to give up on something. That ought to be enough proof for my point.

Are you comparing a device with open drivers or not? because the ones with closed blobs are better off with Android as newer apps aren't required to target latest android and most still target ancient versions for that reason.
          While on Linux after a year or so (or 5 years if you are using Debian stable or Ubuntu LTS) you will have to keep your own old xorg and other stuff.
          I mostly only have experience with closed drivers, since open ones tend to be very sub-par and incomplete on ARM. As long as the closed drivers keep up with my workload (which is very limited on ARM in the first place due to software availability) I'm fine with using something outdated.

And your favourite distro might or might not be supported (nothing that can't be done manually, usually, but still annoying).
          I mentioned Arch because it has a tendency to be the opposite situation. There are several ARM devices I have that are largely abandoned by their creators, but Arch is still up-to-date.

I'm unsure of what you mean here, dts tables (written in flash so independent from the system image, or placed in a folder known by bootloader) can be used on any ARM system whose bootloader (and kernel of course) supports the feature.
          With ARMv8, yes. With ARMv7, the disk images are largely device-specific. For example, if you have a Wandboard or an UDOO, there's a good chance you won't get complete functionality (or it might not even fully boot) if you attempt to share disk images despite them both having IMX.6 CPUs. I haven't attempted this specifically, but I have encountered similar situations with other platforms.

Comment

Working...
          X