61 New Patches Allow OpenGL 4.5 For Radeon RX Vega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    That's not AMD at all. AMD is the one that'll move GCN1 to legacy state soon, to boost Vega/RX 500 sales. You'll see.
    Why should they put SI into legacy?
    And why should it boost sales?
    There is no reason.
    Last edited by juno; 24 April 2017, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

There is no reason.
      SI was already put into legacy a while ago in their PRO drivers. Meanwhile, it makes no sense at all that anything like that would happen in the Mesa OSS drivers - which is why it definitely won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Emdek View Post
        Nah man - that's just a challenge !!!!11oneone

(that said, I just had to go check if there actually were any 2.4 releases going on in 2008 and was pleasantly surprised that I was lucky in my guess)

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

Looking at that page, what is "AMD Vulkan™ Graphics API"? The AMD Vulkan is the part I find funny. This can be found under Features at the bottom of the page.

Btw, what is the lowest cost and/or lowest power AMD graphics card (PCI-E) that can be bought new nowadays? I'm just looking for a low cost card for a project of mine and low power (15 W max. would be perfect, but higher can be tolerated) is fairly important.
          I don't know that anything PCI-E is going to come in under 15W. The RX 550 just came out last week and runs about 60-70 w but you may be able to under clock it closer to what you're looking for.

Comment

There is no reason.
            He probably meant of PRO drivers... due to long history of every 3 calendar years and then drop some gen/s support, last drop was in year 2015.

So, since blob is shared with Windows that is sort of in line with Microsoft's end of mainstream support clause for some releases... so next drop should be in year 2018. - set your clocks on that... see there what happens with Win 8.x at January 9, 2018

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet

On average i expect SI/CIK to go out at the end of a year 2018. but it might be also as soon as right at begining so right in january since MS roll too much these days with Windows 10.
            Last edited by dungeon; 25 April 2017, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              He probably meant of PRO drivers...
              Then he should have declared that, also it's off-topic.

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              On average i expect SI/CIK to go out at the end of a year 2018.
              Might be. But then again, it doesn't really matter as those cards have never worked with the -pro stack as they should have, anyway.

If the -pro stack is boosting sales of anything at it's current state, it's boosting the sales of GeForce cards.

Comment

Might be. But then again, it doesn't really matter as those cards have never worked with the -pro stack as they should have, anyway.
                Of course it does not matter as nothing matters there on average , it is just hard for AMD to officially say how support was droped with fglrx - it is better to have some crap around than to have nothing... it does not need to work, having something half working and total broken seems the best combo... It gain all the traction and click bait on the web, many makes money while playing gigolo games of that kind

It sounds much better when they say "we are working on it and leverage resources here and there, while actually being broken all the fucking time"
                Last edited by dungeon; 25 April 2017, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post

I don't know that anything PCI-E is going to come in under 15W. The RX 550 just came out last week and runs about 60-70 w but you may be able to under clock it closer to what you're looking for.
                  Well, I didn't mean anything powerful like RX 550. It seems that here in Finland you can get HD 5450 or R5 230 for 40 € or less and they are 19 W cards, so pretty close to what I need. The issue is that the computer I'm thinking does not have much cooling power and the power supply won't be powerful. There are no meaningful performance requirements, but FullHD video decoding would be nice (basically any new card is capable of that).

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    We're still waiting for full OpenGL support in r600?
                    radv is more fun apparently

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Ok, so it was just a way of describing that I haven't seen before?

Thanks.
                      Yeah, they are just different names for shader stages using DX and AMD terminology.

Comment

Working...
                      X