No announcement yet.

Devuan 1.0 Makes It To A Release Candidate: Debian Without Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only question is, when will this die off.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
      The only question is, when will this die off.
      That is question for all of us, where majority like to say "only God knows"

Comment

I can not say that I had huge problems to go from sysvinit to systemd. But everybody is free to create a new distribution. Most likely it would have been faster to learn the differences

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
          Devuan will try, Devuan will fail.
          No Devuan will _not_fail, just watch the next couple of years!
          Devuan is clearly filling a very small gap.
          See above.
          I myself, beeing a more technical guy, maintaining quite some linux desktops and servers, don't see that much of a problem with systemd. It's painless, i got little to no problems with systemd. I pretty like the tad of unification thats happening, making distro switches and the creation of universal components easier. I'm going to stick to my debian/ubuntu/fedora based setups for some time to come.
          I don't consider you a technical guy, in what respect: opinions? And what about painless, did you see the latest issue: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/5644? This is really an overstatement. Good luck being incredibly naive opinion about what *nix is. Maybe you should switch to a Windows/Apple solution instead. Then you really don't have to care (until the security issues come crawling...)

Comment

I see the SystemDeath acolytes are starting to come out in force in this thread.

And Phoronix turns into Slashdot once again....

Comment

I am surprised it took them this long considering Debian is useable without systemd.

Systemd is default in Debian 8, but it is not mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by phrx_reader View Post
                No Devuan will _not_fail, just watch the next couple of years!

See above.

I don't consider you a technical guy, in what respect: opinions? And what about painless, did you see the latest issue: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/5644? This is really an overstatement. Good luck being incredibly naive opinion about what *nix is. Maybe you should switch to a Windows/Apple solution instead. Then you really don't have to care (until the security issues come crawling...)
                Well this is a pretty unlikely scenario that probably will the be the next "OMG system suck cry" from the anti pottering community for the next few months but is just as easy doing the same idiot mistake with sysV, BSD, Solaris(at least on solaris 9 on sparc last time I used it), Caldera, SCO, OS X even on certain versions of windows you can force a format C:\ relatively easy from a script

To be honest this solution should be in the kernel, the VFS layer should reject recursive delete on the root underlying filesystem if its on the kernel's control, this way developers don't need to patch every user space tooling conceivable and remove the danger of injecting a non patched version of this tooling(or modified on purpose with this end) into user space and damage the OS.

Anyway was quickly fixed which is after all what I care about, an active community fixing the bugs. expect bug free software is not realistic

Comment

You guys need to realize that systemd was a factor in my decision not to use Linux at all anymore. I don't use it and I don't recommend it to customers. You lost a 20 year Linux veteran over this and I'm not the only one. Your bleeding people to the FreeBSD project because their path forward is simply a better one.
                  Last edited by k1e0x; 21 April 2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                    You guys need to realize that systemd was a factor in my decision not to use Linux at all anymore. I don't use it and I don't recommend it to customers. You lost a 20 year Linux veteran over this and I'm not the only one. Your bleeding people to the FreeBSD project because their path forward is simply a better one.
                    So what you're saying is your make bad decisions?

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                      Cool story brah, enjoy all that FreeBSD goodness, you won't be missed

Comment

Working...
                      X