Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Creak View Post
    It's sad that in 2016, Firefox still can't do that
    In 2010 I could have understood since video hardware acceleration was still young, but 6 years after... knowing that video is a huge part of the browser experience... Mozilla may need to rethink their priorities...
    Windows seems to be their priority.

Comment

BTW : Is there a table anywhere where one could see which AMD cards support hevc?
      The only thing I know is "some using UVD6+"

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
        BTW : Is there a table anywhere where one could see which AMD cards support hevc?
        The only thing I know is "some using UVD6+"

Thanks
        Here:

Comment

dungeon
          Ah, hadn't thought to scroll under the first table... Thanks

Comment

Voted for that bug, too. I noticed that already but wasn't sure it was a real bug from Mozilla's side.
            Having seen Flash mentioned: Does anyone know what became of gnash and lightspark? Those seem have have rather little activity - even thogh they would have been nice replacements - AND having some video acceleration. Flash itself hardly ever works with video acc., it's sometimes even jerky when you move the mouse over it. With that experimental video accel you had to manually enable I had more crashes than even before.
            The only good thing about flash were the flash blockers that would block all the nasty and noisy (and even dangerous) ad content on websites.

More on topic: A lot of these modern things are only available in very recent UVDs (UVD6+), so older cards and chips won't benefit that much from it, sadly. Furthermore these codes may save conent providers some bandwidth but if endusers struggle with jerky video ... where is the benefit?
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

In that way Google Chrome is not better, Chromium has basically accelerated video decode, but the official Chrome builds have it disabled for Linux and only enabled for ChromeOS. The bug link is even listed in chrome://gpu

Comment

Well, isn't we have open source software here? Anyone can write and submit hardware video decoding support to both of Chromium and Firefox. It's not like we talk about Opera or Yandex.Browser here.

Comment

So here's my anecdote... 2160p youtube playback is flawless for me in firefox but stutters in chromium on AMDGPU drivers.

EDIT:
                  I haven't manually enabled any HW decoding features.
                  Last edited by fuzz; 01 September 2016, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X