Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.12 Beta Released

Phoronix: Wayland 1.12 Beta Released

Bryce Harrington announced the release today of Wayland 1.12 beta and the associated Wayland compositor update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would like to be informed about state of art for Wayland network transparency
    as of Wayland Network Transparency Patches Published
    on 9 February 2016
    and

Wayland's Weston IVI Figuring Out Surface Remoting Over Network
    on 7 April 2016

I was never informed that patches were accepted or not.
    I have Odroid Xu4 based 20 X-terminals for teaching Unix/Linux course and Wayland seems to be network bandwidth reducer as well as breaking technologoy to start something more then LXDE and xdm (sddm, gdm , kdm does not start because of there is not OpenGL acceleration over network transparent X11 protocol)

Does anybody now information about Wayland and network transparency

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post
      I would like to be informed about state of art for Wayland network transparency
      [cut]Wayland seems to be network bandwidth reducer
      Wayland is indeed a network bandwidth reducer: it use 0 bandwidth because it DOESN'T support network transparency.
      You can implement network remoting ON TOP of Wayland, but of course there is no guarantee that your Wayland server implement this or that your Wayland client support this..

Also the Wayland protocol can be seen as a subset of the X11 protocol, so there is no technical reason why remoting over Wayland should use less bandwidth than over X11.
      Of course the bandwidth used depends very much of the quality of the implementation not only of the protocol so it still possible that a remoting system on top of Wayland could use less bandwidth than another on X11.

Comment

We need at least the best of NX and VNC in remote desktop. To me SPICE protocol used in VMs is an excellent candidate:

* Image compression,
        * Video streaming (autodetects it and uses MJPEG instead. I wonder if able to use other codec or redirect the video would be possible too).
        * Two way audio (full duplex)
        * USB redirection.
        * Smartcard redirection.
        * Folder sharing.
        * Multiple monitors,
        * Windows driver.

These days, I think both graphical and textual user interfaces should change to the modern era. They must become remote use ready.

As a good textual example, there's Mosh and [url=https://tmate.io[/url]. There's the notty experimental project, a very interesting one in modernizing the terminal.

I consider both textual and graphical transports should be unified, integrated and optimized. But well,, maybe this is a very crazy idea!

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          We need at least the best of NX and VNC in remote desktop.
          I know Nomachine, but I was informed that server is not free of charge

To me SPICE protocol used in VMs is an excellent candidate:

* Image compression,
          * Video streaming (autodetects it and uses MJPEG instead. I wonder if able to use other codec or redirect the video would be possible too).
          * Two way audio (full duplex)
          * USB redirection.
          * Smartcard redirection.
          * Folder sharing.

These days, I think both graphical and textual user interfaces should change to the modern era. They must become remote use ready.

As a good textual example, there's Mosh and [url=https://tmate.io[/url]. There's the notty experimental project, a very interesting one in modernizing the terminal.

I consider both textual and graphical transports should be unified, integrated and optimized. But well,, maybe this is a very crazy idea!

I will try some. VMs are not suitable to teach IPC programming beacuse VM takes each user own set of resources VNC takes same screen to all that is no suitable, too.

X11Rx allows us to login each student by university LDAP accounts
          folder sharing is not needed as we have ssh, scp and each student has own directory in /home.
          If we need it NFS is suitbale.

Comment

I consider both textual and graphical transports should be unified, integrated and optimized.
            Note though that unification can be detrimental to optimization: text can be compressed a lot very simply with a glyph cache, which isn't the case for the generic graphical case.

Comment

Originally posted by renox View Post

Note though that unification can be detrimental to optimization: text can be compressed a lot very simply with a glyph cache, which isn't the case for the generic graphical case.

There can be both transports, even using one of them for GUIs and convert them to raster graphics all time. It would require to send the font and the client able to render it, but less blurry to eyes too!. But what about vector and 3D graphics too?. I think the key would be to standarize and make a unified protocol like in Opus, that is really two audio codecs in one

Comment

Working...
              X