Sailfish OS 2.0.2 In Early Access With Variety Of Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Really, stop buying Samsung Android phones. Anything non-samsung with 1GB ram + 2 GB (usable) storage can run Android fine. There is a reason Samsung's Touchwiz (interface) is called "lagwiz".

Also no, Android is at least opensourced with a permissive license (and most blobs are hardware drivers), Sailfish has proprietary shit in the UI.
    i don't buy samsung, i have and asus zenfone 2 with atom z3560 and works very good most of time BUT thanks to lagdroid for example when i connect the wifi it slows down for ~30 seconds.
    at least i can play perfectly all games (like injustice asphalt...)

Comment

Jolla are low on resource and workforce. it's going to take time until they finish opensourcing the rest.

they need to concentrate on more pressing problems for now (like not bankrupting and recovering from the tablet fiasco), so of course they'll work more on goal that will help them solve their cash problem. like their new plan to finance around official ports and extra paid content, instead of selling closed source blobs.

once that business model is stablr and Jolla isn't at risk of disappearing any time soon, they'll have more time to finish openning the remaining parts, and refunding the remaining part of the tablets.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
        thanks to lagdroid for example when i connect the wifi it slows down for ~30 seconds.
        That lag is Asus/intel fault (whoever wrote the driver/device-firmware), not Android's. It's like you blame Windows because a wifi driver is a piece of shit.

Comment

That lag is Asus/intel fault (whoever wrote the driver/device-firmware), not Android's. It's like you blame Windows because a wifi driver is a piece of shit.
          no, it only happens when you have bacjgroundd apps running gmail,whatsapp... and they check for new content(mails,mesagges...) android manages that like shit and i have seen that in every phone with android (maybe on an s6/7 it doest happen)

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
            no, it only happens when you have bacjgroundd apps running gmail,whatsapp... and they check for new content(mails,mesagges...) android manages that like shit and i have seen that in every phone with android (maybe on an s6/7 it doest happen)
            The same happens on any OS if you have applications that are set to "download stuff as soon as internet connection is detected".
            When you connect to the internet they all jump on it as the system notifies that, if the hardware is weak or the connection is slow or the app itself is coded like shit (most email clients are, Gmail is SLOW) you get slowdowns.
            I don't know about iOS but I doubt it is much different.
            I know this because on Windows it's common for stuff to add an auto-update service and I have a very low-end laptop that I use mostly for Linux, but when I reboot it in WIndows and I connect it to the internet I would have like 5-6 updaters (plus windows update since it is on win10) starting up AT ONCE and clogging processor and connection. I disabled them of course and run updates manually.

Change the settings of your applications to "check every once in a while" not "always", or root the phone a tell them to fuck off from system side by disabling the "wifi connected" notification for each misbehaving app (by using root-only apps that do so).

Comment

The same happens on any OS if you have applications that are set to "download stuff as soon as internet connection is detected".
              When you connect to the internet they all jump on it as the system notifies that
              Actually that is partially Android's "fault". Windows Phone for example does that better:

- background services run independently from their apps' user interfaces, i.e. it does not matter, whether the app is actually running or not as seen from an end-user perspective
              (this is enforced by the API, not something the developer may just optionally design that way)
              - apps that are not in the foreground (i.e. being actively used by the user) are paused by the system, since you don't see its UI anyway and everything else can be handled by background services
              - (most) background services are not continuously running but are executed if certain conditions are met. That will prevent the battery from draining too fast, from taking all network bandwidth, etc. Intensive jobs (like background file synchronization) can only run when meeting much harder conditions (full battery, power source, user not using phone, etc.) than small jobs like email-checking. Email-Checks -- if the email account does not support PUSH -- are performed in intervals adjusted to how much and how often the user uses that email account.
              - Background services that refresh information shown to the user on live tiles get a shorter running interval than those that do not have a live tile.
              - Foreground apps always take priority -- they stop intensive background jobs, may drain battery as much as they want (in contrast to the background jobs) -- and you will never see any slowdown in them because of something that may be going on in the background. If you start something like a file transfer manually, that may of course take all bandwidth as that is what you explicitly wanted to be executed.

Windows Phone sucks in many aspects, but this is one thing that is mostly designed right (the implementation does have a few problems and limitations though for app developers that M$ could have fixed years ago).

EDIT: More on topic: How does Sailfish think to succeed if they don't even implement basic app permissions -- or have I missed something?
              Last edited by elvenbone; 30 July 2016, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by elvenbone View Post
                - (most) background services are not continuously running but are executed if certain conditions are met. That will prevent the battery from draining too fast, from taking all network bandwidth, etc. Intensive jobs (like background file synchronization) can only run when meeting much harder conditions (full battery, power source, user not using phone, etc.) than small jobs like email-checking. Email-Checks -- if the email account does not support PUSH -- are performed in intervals adjusted to how much and how often the user uses that email account.
                Implemented in Android 6 and later, under the name of "battery saver something". It's basically a big fuck you to all apps coded like garbage, as it simply freezes them and thaws them only at some intervals or when a condition they stated is changed.

The problem here is that when a situation changes (internet acces enabled!) a bunch of apps in the background get the same notification, and start up together to do what they wanted to do when internet access was enabled.

- Foreground apps always take priority -- they stop intensive background jobs, may drain battery as much as they want (in contrast to the background jobs) -- and you will never see any slowdown in them because of something that may be going on in the background. If you start something like a file transfer manually, that may of course take all bandwidth as that is what you explicitly wanted to be executed.
                This would have been cool to have on Android, I don't think there is currently.

Comment

Sailfish rocks! Unlike lagdroid it gets updates all the time, I don't have to keep on buying new hardware just to get a new OS version.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                    Sailfish rocks! Unlike lagdroid it gets updates all the time, I don't have to keep on buying new hardware just to get a new OS version.
                    Another paid employee right there.

Comment

Another paid employee right there.
                      No, the guy is actually right. My girlfriend complains now and then because her Moto G doesn't receive updates anymore (i.e., not going to Android 6). My Jolla had an OS update last week (mentioned in this article).

Although I wouldn't complain if Jolla released a new high end smartphone. Would even consider paying a premium higher than a Samsung GS or Google Nexus series.

Comment

Working...
                      X