Indigo 4 Lets You Have Full Graphics Rendering Over OpenCL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lycium View Post
    "Just another OpenCL renderer" - are there really so many of these around at the moment? Most GPU renderers tend to be for CUDA (I've heard that Cycles also prefers to use CUDA), and they seem to have a Pascal compatibility problem at the moment...
    I didn't mean to be offensive in this sentence. English is not my mother tongue, so wording isn't always perfect. Also, you are quoting this out of context.
    I didn't mean to say there are plenty and bringing up one more is a bad thing. But there is a difference between how Michael wrote it and suggested this is something completely new and something new that tries to make something better than already existing software.

BTW: Indigo isn't that new, anyways, is it? But the GPGPU part is? OK, the version number says it all
    I associate the name with Wings3D, which was the first 3D software I used when I was a little kid... but I don't really know if there is a connection or not...
    Last edited by juno; 24 July 2016, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lycium View Post
      We haven't tried it with the opensource drivers, sorry, but hopefully someone will give it a spin! We need our linux boxen stable for development purposes, and I understand the opensource drivers are a little less developed / less likely to be used by professional customers. Drivers are absolutely crucial for GPU compute applications, so I imagine there could be very large differences.
      Well for PTS benchmark open drivers would make sense and for Intel on linux there's only one driver and it's open source.
      For AMD i think more and more users under linux will use the open source drivers but that's not your professional customers.
      If your an phoronix reader then i think you should be pretty up to date with the open source drivers and regular users.
      That said, great work.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        For AMD i think more and more users under linux will use the open source drivers but that's not your professional customers.
        If your an phoronix reader then i think you should be pretty up to date with the open source drivers and regular users.
        That said, great work.
        I think the whole opensource driver thing with ATI started when professional users wanted to have stable drivers (I think we speak 10 years ago). As an admin I would rather have all my systems use opensource drivers as they usually do not lag behind your distro of choice.
        I assume indigo also can use network rendering, so if you have a network of AMD gpu's you better want them to be maintainable.
        Maybe AMDGPU will bring a big change, but currently it only works without hassle on new cards.
        So I don't think that professional users really care if it is open or closed, they care if it works.
        Gamers otoh want to milk out the last fps they can squeeze out of their hardware.
        As for linux as a platform for professional users... I have no idea. But big render farms usually run linux in the farm.

Comment

Working...
        X