No announcement yet.

Intel Decides To Let Go Of Broxton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's be realistic, the past few years' mobile SoCs from Intel really sucked on Linux, starting with Baytrail. They shipped it on a bunch of devices (like Compute Stick) and claimed Linux support, which was barely working with some improvised drivers and certainly did not support anything but a specific kernel, not to mention the various stability issues. These issues are still there after so many years. Linux support was probably slapped on as an afterthought and I guess the embedded team pretty much did not involve the Linux guys (e.g. from i915).

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      Only Cherry Trail and up had Intel graphics
      CloverTrail was with PowerVR and BayTrail and up with Intel graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by edgmnt View Post
        Linux support was probably slapped on as an afterthought and I guess the embedded team pretty much did not involve the Linux guys (e.g. from i915).
        Moreover there is still no V-Sync for BayTrail: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=69869

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          there are none. btw, loosephone was arm-based
          How about gpu technology from companies who actually care somewhat about open source drivers? I doubt anybody using ARM tech in phones is going to try to get a license from AMD/Intel/Nvidia--what they have is good enough for them, and it doesn't look like many will be releasing open source drivers either.

Loosephone? What? Did you mean losephone, failphone perhaps, referring to Windows phone? I don't remember anyone saying it was x86, but I am getting pretty forgetful. I was referring to the OS when I said Windows Phone, I guess what I meant was Windows Mobile. While there aren't any x86 Windows phones, it was reported that the OS is or was going to support x86.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Jolla tablet has Intel GPU.
            Jolla tablet is not using a mobile SoC, they are using Z3735F (Bay Trail).
            That generation's SoC for smartphones and Mobile Internet Devices is Z35xx (Moorefield/Merrifield).

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Are there? With fully working FOSS drives including WiFi and the rest?
            Yes, Qualcomm wifi is driven by the wcn36xx drivers. There was even someone who made a mainline kernel run on Snapdragon S4 Pro (but on a Nexus 7 tablet instead of a phone).
            Phoronix wrote an article about it: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-7-On-Mainline

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
              A bit off topic but.. Is there any plans for a Power9 mobile chip? ARM surely needs some competition in the mobile market.
              There are a few MIPS variants out there, some of them even running android.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                Moreover there is still no V-Sync for BayTrail: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=69869
                And no HDMI audio support, except for an old rotten patch for Linux 3.16. It's even worse for Cherrytrail.

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
                  There are a few MIPS variants out there, some of them even running android.
                  There is a gaming handheld GCW Zero using an Ingenic JZ4770 MIPS SoC which mostly runs on open source software thanks to gcwnow and etnaviv projects. However that platform is not suitable for smartphones.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                    Seriously? Does no one on this board understand sarcasm? People would do good dropping the book on microprocessors and pick up one on the topic of human communication.
                    As I already said before, there are multiple layers, language barrier, written text barrier.

If someone does not use smilies or whatever to show it, people will probably not just guess it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                      How about gpu technology from companies who actually care somewhat about open source drivers? I doubt anybody using ARM tech in phones is going to try to get a license from AMD/Intel/Nvidia--what they have is good enough for them, and it doesn't look like many will be releasing open source drivers either.
                      "intel's" powervr drivers for phones were not exactly open source. maybe amd will make not only server arm.
                      Loosephone? What? Did you mean losephone, failphone perhaps, referring to Windows phone?
                      referring to winfone
                      I don't remember anyone saying it was x86, but I am getting pretty forgetful.
                      you said winphone was one of reasons to want x86 phone, how should i interpret it ?

Comment

Working...
                      X