Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RISC-V Now Supports Rust In The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: RISC-V Now Supports Rust In The Linux Kernel

The latest RISC-V port updates have been merged for the in-development Linux 6.10 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank heavens, now can we finally have safe kernels and OS's? After all these long, bloody years of constant warfare when all our systems were pretty much exploited 24/7?

Just need to re-write everything in Rust and then hope that the bad l33t haxxors don't find all the Rust vulnerabilities.

Comment

and a lot of infrastructure work taking place
      s/infrastructure/bindings/

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        Thank heavens, now can we finally have safe kernels and OS's? After all these long, bloody years of constant warfare when all our systems were pretty much exploited 24/7?

Just need to re-write everything in Rust and then hope that the bad l33t haxxors don't find all the Rust vulnerabilities.
        i !! just want to know ... how many securities is this introducing into thekernel ?? not sure why linux isnt moving towards what goolge is doign by making ther kenele littler (little kernel, lk, microkernel) just wondering if nayone oknow .......

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post

i !! just want to know ... how many securities is this introducing into thekernel ?? not sure why linux isnt moving towards what goolge is doign by making ther kenele littler (little kernel, lk, microkernel) just wondering if nayone oknow .......
          You can choose to build the Linux kernel extremely small. The vast majority of code in the kernel is drivers or driver related. No distro is ever going to remove all of those drivers from the kernel, however.

Comment

Don't drink-write, kids.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this doesn't introduce any securities (= financial bonds) into the kernel

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

You can choose to build the Linux kernel extremely small. The vast majority of code in the kernel is drivers or driver related. No distro is ever going to remove all of those drivers from the kernel, however.
                Also, nowadays distros ship drivers as modules, not linked into the kernel (except maybe a small number that are certain to be required) so it doesn't make the kernel unnecessarily big either. They just occupy some disk space, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

No, Kernels has never ever been exploited, And I have never crashed my car so I never use any of the safety features in it.

Stop being a brainlet.
                  Last edited by dlq84; 23 May 2024, 03:34 AM.

Comment

finally I see some long awaited bashing-tiredness appearing. Well, there may be hope.

Comment

Working...
                    X