No announcement yet.

Qt 6.7.1 Released With 400+ Fixes - Including Several Wayland Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer QT and Plasma desktop. But bashing GTK here is pointless. I would rather have GTK installed so that I don't need to worry if an application does not work without it.

Back to topic, I assume FC40 will be updating to 6.7.1 since it is already 6.7. I hope it comes with the next Plasma update.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I'm in a similar situation but I tend to think differently about GTK apps where I have to encounter their less-than-ideal nativeness on non-GNOME desktops vs. ones I use maybe once every few months or which only use GTK under the hood.

The former would be:
      • MComix (Given how they've been cluttering up the UI and de-optimizing it since they forked from the abandoned Comix repo, and given what components I've already built for other projects or need to build, I'll probably just spend an afternoon re-creating what I liked about Comix using PyQt. Hell, it's written in Python so, if I wanted, I could just port the parts that aren't just a thin wrapper around PyGObject to PyQt.)

I've already migrated Deluge→KTorrent, File Roller→Ark (despite it not having an "uncompressed size" readout), Meld → KDiff3, snes9x-gtk→Mednafen, and switched from using both Okular and Evince to just Okular.
      FYI - Okular opens cbr/cbz files.

Comment

Originally posted by WonkoTheSaneUK View Post

FYI - Okular opens cbr/cbz files.
        Even further from the UI/UX design I want than MComix is. What I want is more a two-page spread, manga-reading-order-capable, CBZ/CBR-capable version of the GQView/Geeqie design.

(Plus, from what I remember, Okular doesn't let you set completely different UI configuration profiles for different file formats, and how I want to browse my PDFs is very different from how I want to browse me CBZs.)

Comment

File Roller→Ark (despite it not having an "uncompressed size" readout)
          Does for me. The "Original Size" column. Your version mist call is "Size" instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

Does for me. The "Original Size" column. Your version mist call is "Size" instead.
            Huh. You're both wrong and right.

Wrong in that I was talking about the whole-archive uncompressed size readout that File Roller would display in the status bar back around Lubuntu 12.04 LTS, not the per-file uncompressed readouts I'd have to manually add up.

Right in that Ark has added an "Unpacked size" field to Archive > Properties since I made the decision that GTK+ 3 recurring tendency to introduce regressions and bugs on non-GNOME desktops was a bigger problem than losing that feature.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Krita?

Dolphin?
              Krita excels in illustration projects, whereas GIMP is the go-to for image editing still less than adobe PS tho

nautilus is far superior to Dolphin even Linus from LTT agrees with me here

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                nautilus is far superior to Dolphin even Linus from LTT agrees with me here
                He says Nautilus is better functionality-wise, which says to me that our needs are so disjoint that neither of us should be making that point... because, based on my own needs and experiences, I could honestly say the exact opposite. (i.e. that Nautilus is a primitive piece of junk that keeps jettisoning features in pursuit of its creators' particular view of nirvana which just happens to not have jettisoned "open as root" yet.)

That said, I will certainly agree that it's inexcusable that Ark in the 21st century doesn't understand extract-by-drag-and-drop.
                Last edited by ssokolow; 23 May 2024, 08:38 AM.

Comment

He says Nautilus is better functionality-wise, which says to me that our needs are so disjoint that neither of us should be making it... because, based on my own needs and experiences, I could honestly say the exact opposite. (i.e. that Nautilus is a primitive piece of junk that keeps jettisoning features in pursuit of its creators' particular view of nirvana which just happens to not have jettisoned "open as root" yet.)

That said, I will certainly agree that it's inexcusable that Ark in the 21st century doesn't understand extract-by-drag-and-drop.
                  Ark used to have that at least. Though it is a general KDE feature not an ark feature. You can define actions that can be taken on drop, and ark extract is one of the defaults

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Ark used to have that at least. Though it is a general KDE feature not an ark feature. You can define actions that can be taken on drop, and ark extract is one of the defaults
                    I don't mean drag-and-drop actions inside the embedded Ark KPart inside Konqueror or Dolphin. I'm talking about drag-and-drop from the standalone Ark to Konqueror or Dolphin when you don't have "Preview: Zip" enabled for the latter.

Comment

I'm talking about drag-and-drop from the standalone Ark to Konqueror or Dolphin
                      Just tried between Ark and Dolphin and both dragging a single file as well as a directory extracted them to the drop location.

Comment

Working...
                      X