Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rust 1.78 Upgrade For Linux 6.10, Dropping In-Tree "alloc" Fork To Save ~10k Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow autovectorization is good in Rust

Comment

Firefox used to use their own memory allocator back in the early days too, and I remember reading of many similar cases. It seems like a certain kind of rite of passage to waste time on rolling your own and later reverting that decision.

Some might call it "maturing".

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
        Firefox used to use their own memory allocator back in the early days too, and I remember reading of many similar cases. It seems like a certain kind of rite of passage to waste time on rolling your own and later reverting that decision.

Uh. Do you actually have any idea about what exactly had been "rolled own" that's just been reverted?

Because you seem like you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post

First, that really has nothing to do with the current topic.

Second, I'm pretty sure Firefox still uses jemalloc to this day, and it was an important optimization on windows. I don't think they ever used it on linux, since the system allocater was more up to the task there.

Comment

Working...
          X