Firefox 126 Available - Adds "Linux" To The Android User Agent String

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Well, not that great. But great in terms of user base and product diversity, I agree on that.

Sailfish and meego and webos and others are in life support. Those had better concepts and some were even quite FOSS friendly.
    Good riddance, especially sailfish that hyped up sales with promises of opensourcing the stack once they get going, but then walked it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

What's the exact string?
      I think it's pretty much the user agent you'd get on a standard Firefox on Linux desktop, but with "Mobile;" slipped in, you can see how it's built here: https://gitlab.com/postmarketOS/mobi...ype=heads#L282

Comment

does passkey support works ?

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          Secondly, no one really cares except for purists and devoted Linux fans for whom Android is "a Linux success story", except it's a failure story because the mainline kernel looks to be completely incompatible with anything reliable/enterprisy/mass produced. And the mainline kernel is found neither in RHEL, nor in Android.
          I use the mainline kernel and it works completely fine on my desktop and also tested it on mobile, although I barely use that, not into mobile shit. Literally typing this from it right now.

"completely" incompatible he says.

lol.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

It would make it a lot easier if the term "Linux" was used properly to refer to a kernel, and not to talk about an imaginary "general purpose OS" that only exists in the minds of the technically illiterate.
            If pretentiousness could generate electricity, this comment would be enough to power the East Coast of the US for like a year all by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by eltimablo View Post
              If pretentiousness could generate electricity, this comment would be enough to power the East Coast of the US for like a year all by itself.
              That was the intention, I'm trying to help Greta Thunberg and Extinction Rebellion to wean the world off of oil and gas.

Comment

That was the intention, I'm trying to help Greta Thunberg and Extinction Rebellion to wean the world off of oil and gas.
                Have you tried gluing yourself to Linus Torvalds's house?

Comment

Originally posted by eltimablo View Post
                  Have you tried gluing yourself to Linus Torvalds's house?
                  That's next week. This week I'm gluing myself to Richard Stallman's neckbeard.

Comment

That's next week. This week I'm gluing myself to Richard Stallman's neckbeard.
                    Something something hairy palms and blindness.

Comment

Originally posted by Magissia View Post

kernel version 6.1 isn't that old and statically compiled binaries works as is most of the time when copied to the smartphone. AOSP is a Linux distro.
                      Excellent excuses.

As for being a Linux distro, show me glibc or at least musl in Android. Wait, there's none?

What about systemd or upstart? Oops, none.

What about xorg/wayland? Oops, nothing.

Maybe you can run a run of the mill Linux distro on your smartphone? Oops, it won't even start, oh, you can't even install it given a peculiar partitioning scheme.

Version 6.1 you said? Can you compile linux-6.1.tar.xz without heavily patching it instead your Android's own kernel? Oh, wait, you can't.

A Linux distro, my a$$. You could be a great comedian.

Comment

Working...
                      X