AMD RDNA4 "GFX12" Support Merged For Mesa's RadeonSI Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

True. I wish the desktop Zen 4 SKUs had an iGPU that was based on RDNA3 instead of RDNA2.
    Zen 5 desktop (Granite Ridge) might keep the same 2 CU RDNA2 iGPU, particularly if it reuses the I/O die. If AMD does that, iGPU performance will fall behind Arrow Lake which is probably going up to 64 EUs (twice the UHD 770). I don't think AMD really has to care though, since they omitted graphics on desktop before, and it's present simply to provide the basics of making it usable (display outputs, light graphics perf, HW video decode/encode) without a discrete GPU.

APU enjoyers will get the latest and greatest, somewhat (RDNA3+ in Strix Point around the time of RDNA4 dGPU release). And you don't have to wait for an AM5 desktop APU release if you're willing to get a mini PC from e.g. Beelink or Minisforum using a mobile BGA chip.

Comment

Kind of disappointing it didn't make it into 24.1, if I'm being honest.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post

Zen 5 desktop (Granite Ridge) might keep the same 2 CU RDNA2 iGPU, particularly if it reuses the I/O die. If AMD does that, iGPU performance will fall behind Arrow Lake which is probably going up to 64 EUs (twice the UHD 770). I don't think AMD really has to care though, since they omitted graphics on desktop before, and it's present simply to provide the basics of making it usable (display outputs, light graphics perf, HW video decode/encode) without a discrete GPU.

APU enjoyers will get the latest and greatest, somewhat (RDNA3+ in Strix Point around the time of RDNA4 dGPU release). And you don't have to wait for an AM5 desktop APU release if you're willing to get a mini PC from e.g. Beelink or Minisforum using a mobile BGA chip.
        AMD is segmenting it's GPU provision levels in various CPU products. People who want an APU with strong graphics will have an option. People who want a discrete PCIe video card probably don't much care about the iGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post

AMD is segmenting it's GPU provision levels in various CPU products. People who want an APU with strong graphics will have an option. People who want a discrete PCIe video card probably don't much care about the iGPU.
          Sure, but Intel's desktop graphics is also distinguished from its larger and higher performing mobile graphics. UHD 770 (32 EUs in Alder/Raptor Lake desktop CPUs) and Ryzen 7000 desktop (like Radeon 610M with 2 CUs but not called that) have nearly identical iGPU performance. Now Intel is likely to double that. AMD might want to keep up.

The move might be to put 4x RDNA3+ CUs in the next I/O die, and then disable 1-2 of them on some models. Basically what Intel does with UHD 770/730/710, but it wouldn't be possible with only 2 CUs max.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Kind of disappointing it didn't make it into 24.1, if I'm being honest.
            Why? There are no hardware yet and I doubt the hardware will be available before Q3 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post

It isn't just about "strong graphics" in terms of 3D performance though. AM5 / Zen 4 on the desktop supports hybrid graphics. You can hook all your displays to the motherboard and use the iGPU for most tasks. The dGPU will automatically fire up for Vulkan gaming. My system idles a full 45W less with triple displays when hooked up to the iGPU. So capabilities like video decode / encode on the iGPU are still important to me even with a dGPU.

Comment

Working...
              X