Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zed Code Editor Making Progress On Linux Support

Phoronix: Zed Code Editor Making Progress On Linux Support

Back in January the Zed editor was open-sourced for this new code editor from the creators of the Atom editor and Tree-sitter syntax parsing framework. This high performance code editor has been initially focused on macOS support while the Linux support has begun coming together...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux support is going so fast (moved by volunteer work) that Windows users are complaining about it.

Comment

It's a shame Zed was locked into macOS but if you know the technical details behind it, you can understand why. Zed is deeply tied into macOS, they even wrote a custom async runtime that hooks into the OS's scheduler.
      I hope there will be a Windows release soon, but knowing how sophisticated it's architecture is, I have a feeling it's going to be a subpar experience compared to it's macOS version (and maybe Linux version, depending on how they integrate it with the OS, I guess). Not that I'm unhappy with VSCode, but it would be nice to see some competition. Everything else is either paid/proprietary, ancient, esoteric, primitive, or just an all-around inferior experience.

Comment

Before the comments start to roast each other I'd like to thank for their approach to the community. I hope it won't end up in the same place Atom did, but we'll see

Comment

I don't even want to know how complicated drag & drop can be on Linux— I mean, GNOM— I mean, KDE, no, I mea—
          Yeah we use portals for that...

Comment

It's a chopper baby

Comment

Originally posted by SViN View Post
              Yeah we use portals for that...
              Only necessary in sandboxed applications.

Both X11 and Wayland handle Clipboard/D&D in their main protocol stack in very similar manner.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

Only necessary in sandboxed applications.
                True, but that doesn't mean you can use them for non-sandboxed apps.

Comment

Reminder that Lapce is an existing rust-written editor that has had Linux support for ages, and already has working plugin support. I'm unsure as to why it never gets any attention but Zed, in it's extremely alpha state, gets multiple every time something small changes.

Comment

The entire blog post is a must read and should be yet another example of shame for Linux.

And their solution to just support Ubuntu is the correct one . In fact I council everyone I meet who is interested in developing for Linux to just set it in their mind that when you think Linux you think Ubuntu and nothing else. I also tell them to package your Ubuntu app three ways. tarball, .deb, Snap. That way if anyone in the “Never Ubuntu” camp gets butt hurt their hobby project distribution didn’t get your app just for them they can always take the tarball and run with it. Make it into a RPM, a Flatpak or a Gentoo port. But let them carry that load for wanting to stay outside the Ubuntu world. It’s high time to ostracize the wider Linux world from Ubuntu with the exception that the app you’re working on is more of a server, HPC, or like kind of app then of course make an RPM version for Red Hat and Suse. Otherwise let the twiddle geeks twiddle over to their console and twiddle with the tarball. They’re used to it by now as it’s a badge of geek honor.

Comment

Working...
                    X