Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Asahi Remix 40 Now Available For Apple Silicon Devices, KDE Plasma 6 By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

Not at all, the macbook is probably the finest piece of hardware I've ever owned, actually half bought it by accident after listening to black propaganda like you've had hard injected into your brain to hate nice things. I forgot my laptop while travelling, I'd already gotten used to MacOS building stuff in a VM and it was the cheapest non netbook in the store near the airport, thought sack it, can give it to the niece when I've finished with it. Niece got her own.

Maybe stop parroting disinformation without verifying it yourself first.
    Man I owned one 10 years ago. That machine was great. Even then it had 16 GB RAM / 512 GB SSD. But having worse specs 10 years later is ridiculous. I need no propaganda, I need reasonable amount storage and memory in exchange for my money. Even phones now have more gigabytes than these "best value" macs. Hilarious that I have to explain this.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post
      Even phones now have more gigabytes than these "best value" macs. Hilarious that I have to explain this.
      Indeed the specs of a high range phone or tablet a couple of years back.
      I have a One Plus 9 from 2021 with similar values which the One Plus 9 Pro from half a year later already surpassed.

For laptops such values are even further in the past.

When I last bought a new one in 2018 there were quite a number of model that started with 256/8.
      Usually base configuration to be upgraded to useful values (got mine with 1000/32).

I guess mSparks' laptop is at least that old or even older.
      Or a tablet + keyboard type of setup

Comment

Man I owned one 10 years ago. That machine was great. Even then it had 16 GB RAM / 512 GB SSD. But having worse specs 10 years later is ridiculous. I need no propaganda, I need reasonable amount storage and memory in exchange for my money. Even phones now have more gigabytes than these "best value" macs. Hilarious that I have to explain this.
        I think you are misinterpreting the importance of how much ram it has.
        the SSD is so fast that the swap space on disk is faster than ram from 10 years ago. 3 to 6 GB/s (Bytes not bits) depending on the model, DDR2 was 6.4GB/s. I can easily blow through the ram limit opening several large excel files, and the worst effect is they take almost as long to open as the asus takes to open the first one,

plus everything uses less ram on macos compared to windows. I currently have the same plus a few more word, excel and powerpoint files open from todays meeting, the macbook is using 6GB of its 8GB with 1GB in swap, the Asus is using 22GB of its 16GB and crawling (less files because it needed to close some).
        Last edited by mSparks; 10 May 2024, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I used Asahi back when they where based on Arch on a M1 Air, M2 Air and a M1 Max 16 inch Pro. Was one of the, if not the snapiest expirience i ever had using Linux. I would never in my Life use MacOS again. Once you get used to the Multitasking capabilities of a DE in Linux (Sway,Plasma...) or Windows, MacOS feels like its from 30 years ago.

the SSD is so fast that the swap space on disk is faster than ram from 10 years ago. 3 to 6 GB/s (Bytes not bits) depending on the model, DDR2 was 6.4GB/s.
          Ram is much faster to do its higer random access (which is more important when caching). And 10 years ago would be more in the likes of DDR3 and/or DDR4.

plus everything uses less ram on macos compared to windows.
          That programs/OSes using/forcing less RAM usage are better is a misconception.
          Its quite the opposit actually. You want program code to be cached and not in SWAP/PAGE or on the HDD/SSD. What does differentiate good from bad code/algorithms regarding memory is the prediction which code blocks are needed next or most. The OS usually has the biggest share on this decision.

The only thing Apple does excellent in this regard right now is the way they package the RAM chips now. They use very short lanes and so they get much lower latency/higher bandwidth out of the same chips that are used by, for example, Lenovo or ASUS while using less energy to do so.

Comment

the SSD is so fast that the swap space on disk is faster than ram from 10 years ago. 3 to 6 GB/s (Bytes not bits) depending on the model, DDR2 was 6.4GB/s. I can easily blow through the ram limit opening several large excel files, and the worst effect is they take almost as long to open as the asus takes to open the first one,

plus everything uses less ram on macos compared to windows. I currently have the same plus a few more word, excel and powerpoint files open from todays meeting, the macbook is using 6GB of its 8GB with 1GB in swap, the Asus is using 22GB of its 16GB and crawling (less files because it needed to close some).
            You see, I've been using laptops for over a decade now, and them always been my primary devices (no PC box, just a laptop). This is why I cannot settle for less, 8 GB is not enough even for my Chrome tabs that I used to keep opened all the time (about 40 tabs).
            Apparently your use case is different, for you it is a secondary machine right? We have different demands and different expectations. However, I called these low end macbooks a trash for a reason. Imagine installing Linux on it. 256 Gb only, Mac OS is reserved when using Asahi. You're out of free space in 3, 2, 1...
            End of story, Mac goes to eBay, money earned are spent on another one with better specs. Can't call this good allocation of funds and time, especially when there's a plenty of decent machines out there, take Framework ones, for example.

Comment

You see, I've been using laptops for over a decade now, and them always been my primary devices (no PC box, just a laptop). This is why I cannot settle for less, 8 GB is not enough even for my Chrome tabs that I used to keep opened all the time (about 40 tabs).
              Apparently your use case is different, for you it is a secondary machine right? We have different demands and different expectations. However, I called these low end macbooks a trash for a reason. Imagine installing Linux on it. 256 Gb only, Mac OS is reserved when using Asahi. You're out of free space in 3, 2, 1...
              End of story, Mac goes to eBay, money earned are spent on another one with better specs. Can't call this good allocation of funds and time, especially when there's a plenty of decent machines out there, take Framework ones, for example.
              my linux workstation has 128GB of DDR 4, 4TB of 5000GB/s SSD , amd5900X rtx3070 and can serve all that up on xquartz over a VPN. All I need the laptop for is to connect to that when needed or for word/excel/powerpoint for days like today. bit of vscode for documentation

for that use case it simply embarrasses a $4000 windows asus laptop in every possible way for $1000.

but extra ram and harddisk on mac is insanely expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

All I can say is that I install Asahi Fedora 39 recently on a couple of M1-based devices at work. The installation script, ran inside macOS, was slick and installation was easy. Mac hardware end up being pretty nice. In time these will stop being supported by Apple but much of what is out there will still have usefull life yet. At the very least there is that. You can also dual-boot between Asahi and macOS today if that is something you want.

I will add, the professionalism behind this project seems top-notch. My whole experience was very good.
                I do not think apple will drop support for M1 another 3-4 years. Even if it does M1 will continue working on mac os just fine. I do not get the reason behind installing linux on it. You take good hardware and make it much worse by doing it. On linux many things do not work, it does not have rosseta magic and apple software.

It's like i use arch BTW kind of thing but much much worse, because arch is linux and you do things other linux does, but linux on M1 absolutely can't do what mac os does.

Comment

It's not about GB/s when it comes to comparison ssd to ram. 2 GB/s ram will be much snappier then 10 GB/s NVMe SSD, because of random reads and write speeds.
                  using ssd/hdd for swap is dumb thing to do. You should use zram. That's what android does for years now. In phone settings you set +2 GB RAM + 4 GB RAM. It's essentially using cpu to compress data in ram. On my laptop even 11th gen i3 is so capable that when i tested with 8 GB RAM and 12 GB RAM usage it's snappy. Also tested it with 32 GB RAM and snappiness started to disappear on 44 GB RAM usage.

I think that is what apple does on M serries and that is what they meant when saying our 8 GB RAM feels like 16 GB on windows. What they are describing is like zram.

Comment

Originally posted by t1r0nama View Post

It's not about GB/s when it comes to comparison ssd to ram. 2 GB/s ram will be much snappier then 10 GB/s NVMe SSD, because of random reads and write speeds.
                    using ssd/hdd for swap is dumb thing to do. You should use zram. That's what android does for years now. In phone settings you set +2 GB RAM + 4 GB RAM. It's essentially using cpu to compress data in ram. On my laptop even 11th gen i3 is so capable that when i tested with 8 GB RAM and 12 GB RAM usage it's snappy. Also tested it with 32 GB RAM and snappiness started to disappear on 44 GB RAM usage.

I think that is what apple does on M serries and that is what they meant when saying our 8 GB RAM feels like 16 GB on windows. What they are describing is like zram.
                    its about GB/s when it comes to using swap space or opening files. unless you are opening a 200MB excel file (yes, some morons make them) or a 200Mpix photo when you will really feel it, everything else goes into swap, that and reading from disk is what you spend most of your time waiting for.

This makes the mac visibly faster in most every respect.

plus, windows memory management is just shockingly bad all round.

Heck, we were paging through a 500 page word document during fridays meeting, the asus you could see it drawing frames, the mac was better than flicking through a print out.

So I'll pay their stupid premium for more ram for the next machine, just so I dont have to ever suffer opening big excel files on windows again.

Comment

I've generally experienced the same as what you're describing, but I'm not totally sure that I've had the same experience w.r.t RAM usage vs windows. It might be true for office somehow, but there might also be other reasons why office on windows might use more RAM. I'm mostly had the opposite experience where macOS uses more RAM for most things, but because its so excellent at swapping it isn't impactful.

Comment

Working...
                      X