Clear All

Will it be GPLv3/AGPLv3 ?

Comment

Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post
      Will it be GPLv3/AGPLv3 ?
      Apache-2.0 and MIT so far.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Hmm. So not fully committed to FOSS i guess đŸ˜…

Comment

Interesting to see that the built in LLM is only 7 billion parameters. Seems that this size is becoming default for many non-cloud deployments as 7 billion parameter LLMs should fit in the memory sizes of a typical desktop or even a single GPU with the required memory.

Comment

Well, yes and no. The first sentence in TFA is "Red Hat Enterprise Linux AI (RHEL AI), a foundation model platform to seamlessly develop, test and run best-of-breed, open source Granite generative AI models to power enterprise applications." They're being straight up about it being for enterprise applications. Apache and MIT licensing fulfills the need for having an open source base that you or an organization can add some secret sauce to make a unique application and product.

It's like a Tivo or Android running Linux. The kernel and OS is FOSS or mostly FOSS, but what Tivo/Android does isn't. The AI model is open source. What you create with the AI model or what changes you make to the AI model locally don't have to be.

Also, it's the "What You Create" part that really matters in regards to not going with the GPL. The derivative works part of the GPL to be specific. It requires that anything that the AI makes to also use the GPL. It would forces the GPL upon anyone who uses their AI. The freedom to keep the source open takes away from the freedom to fully use the software. Then there's the ethical part of if you create an AI off the RHEL AI and that AI creates something for the end user, who is the real owner? RHEL, the RHEL fork's organization, the user who used the software? MIT and Apache licensing makes it so the user or organization is the owner of what they create.

Comment

You are obviously being sarcastic but here goes for anyone else that may think this is serious:

Both those licenses are FOSS and more importantly, much freer than the GPL ever will be.

By releasing this software under these licenses Red Hat ensures much wider adaption by various entities.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

You are obviously being sarcastic but here goes for anyone else that may think this is serious:

Both those licenses are FOSS and more importantly, much freer than the GPL ever will be.

By releasing this software under these licenses Red Hat ensures much wider adaption by various entities.
                Please stop trolling. Someone should ban you!

It seems you have too much free time.

What about doing more prod6ctive efforts than trolling here?

You are so toxic, it makes me puke and consider not visiting Phoronix anymore.

Thanks to you, I'll use that time for more productive stuff

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I hope this leads to a Desktop AI where I can treat my Linux PC like it's something out of Star Trek. With the right hardware there are some really neat things being done on Windows like being able to talk to the AI and have it come up with 3D printed parts and automating a task from a couple of sentences. The problem is that I just don't trust talking to Windows.

I'd like to be able to do the same with a Linux DE. Plug in my camera and say "Sync all the new RAWs from the camera and process them with Preset A, except use Preset B on the last 10." while I can go off and do other things. Yeah, I can script that, but I'd rather just tell the PC a couple of sentences and go on about my day.

It's fucking ironic that I'm typing this from Windows 11. I'm gonna play Elden Ring later and I prefer running anticheat mods to use Flawless Widescreen in offline mode on Windows.

As far as the subtopic goes, AI doesn't bother me when used for automation and removing repetitive tasks. Even art doesn't bother me to a certain extent. It's the quick and crappy art where the "artist" doesn't bother having the AI fix the fine details and mistakes that bothers me. IMHO, that says more about the artist than it does the AI they're using. It shows that no matter how good of technology you're using, you have to have the eye for it, your style, whatever y'all want to call it, if you don't have it you don't have it. $100,000 in premium tools won't turn a slacker into a craftsman. They'll just help the slacker produce crap faster.

I'm tabling the capitalism elephant. Modern law and the free market is barely able to handle the ​internet and the increase in productivity and the need for fewer workers in regards to more profits due to modern tools, statistics, logistics, and efficiencies. I fear what AI will do to us if left unchecked.
                  Windows and Mac have always been much more advanced than Linux die to the for profit model.

Both Microsoft and Apple are publicly traded companies with millions of investors and employees to keep happy, not to mention all the vendors and direct and indirect businesses that depend on these companies producing new products in order to stay in business.

Both MS and Apple need to justify in the business sense why a consumer needs to upgrade to the newest OS or application, the Linux and BSD world does not.

Look at Linux, you want to run a 10 year old copy of Ubuntu 14.04? Sure, because Ubuntu will happily backport patches and HWE stack.

Want to run Fedora 37? Knock yourself out, no one is going to stop you.

That's because all these vendors give their work away for free.

But if a vendor needed to entice you to upgrade to the latest and greatest release that used a per seat for profit licensing licensing model, you would see a ton of innovation and new and exciting features.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Windows and Mac have always been much more advanced than Linux die to the for profit model.

Both Microsoft and Apple are publicly traded companies with millions of investors and employees to keep happy, not to mention all the vendors and direct and indirect businesses that depend on these companies producing new products in order to stay in business.

Both MS and Apple need to justify in the business sense why a consumer needs to upgrade to the newest OS or application, the Linux and BSD world does not.

Look at Linux, you want to run a 10 year old copy of Ubuntu 14.04? Sure, because Ubuntu will happily backport patches and HWE stack.

Want to run Fedora 37? Knock yourself out, no one is going to stop you.

That's because all these vendors give their work away for free.

But if a vendor needed to entice you to upgrade to the latest and greatest release that used a per seat for profit licensing licensing model, you would see a ton of innovation and new and exciting features.
                    Your trolling disrupts the community and wastes everyone's time. It's time to reflect on your actions and consider the impact they have on others. Instead of contributing to the negativity, why not use your energy for something constructive? Your behavior is pushing people away from this forum, but I'm choosing to focus on more productive endeavors. Let's all strive for a more positive and informative environment.

Trolling is a drain on our forum and respect is non-negotiable. Your actions stifle meaningful dialogue and it's high time for a change. Let's channel our energies into constructive discussions. Michael, perhaps it's time to consider moderation action to preserve the integrity of our community.

Harness your passion constructively; dive into programming and transform your potential into Phoronix's next breakthrough. It's a productive path worth exploring.​

Comment

Reminder that RedHat has ties to the NSA and they are the company running xkeyscore and mass surveillance for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X