No announcement yet.

Fedora Cleared To Build Python Package With "-O3" Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's my take on this situation, it feels very wrong.

I'm 99% sure there are individual GCC flags which can achieve the same performance targets without resorting to using -O3, for instance -funroll-all-loops.

Using such flags would be safer than enabling -O3 wantonly and we won't end up with bloated binaries.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I've tested -Os extensively on multiple devices and never once the binaries using it were faster than the binaries compiled with -O2. "The smaller code fits the cache better" is nothing but a myth unfortunately. -Os is OK for embedded devices where ROM storage space is at premium but that's it.
      Yep. That -Os myth was very prevalent in the Android community back in the day and -O2 and -O3 builds were almost always faster. That's what I was trying to get across.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
        Here's my take on this situation, it feels very wrong.

I'm 99% sure there are individual GCC flags which can achieve the same performance targets without resorting to using -O3, for instance -funroll-all-loops.

Using such flags would be safer than enabling -O3 wantonly and we won't end up with bloated binaries.
        So we need an -O2⅔​

Comment

I just compile everything in o3 unless it breaks or causes an obvious slowdown, then i'll recompile with o2

Comment

Originally posted by ahrs View Post

They also have Wget2 packaged as Wget now. That's a pretty big change:

Distros like Arch don't even have a Wget2 package!
            (it is in the AUR though: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wget2)
            That may be a pretty big change, but not a good one according to Wget2 authors: https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/661

Comment

Working...
            X